Does Roon download entire track into RAM? [Memory Playback Discussion]

I agree I don’t really believe this stuff myself. They will come up with any old excuse to sell overpriced servers and people seem to be easily persuaded it’s the better way of doing things.

Yeah, I use “corksniffers” as a general epithet.

Punch cards are really low on the EMF. However it takes a lot of them to store an album. And it sucks to stand there and feed in one after the other during each song.

3 Likes

Some things here tend to drift away into that nasty Snarky tone. It never really hurts to not reply… I really like Roon, but some of the posters, not so much.

I had thought that memory play was part and parcel of the program. Misinformation is out there, should not be a crime to just ask.

1 Like

I certainly did not mean to be snarky. There are times when I do, but this was not one of them. My intention was just to joke about EMF from one type of storage but not another, and how audiophiles get caught up in such stuff. I think the request to have Roon look into RAM playback is perfectly valid. I might not agree that it will result in improvements or that it is my highest priority for Roon, but your opinion is just as valid as mine (until further notice :hushed:)

1 Like

Sometimes it’s hard to resist picking up on nonsense. And maybe it saves someone else from falling down a rabbit hole.

In any case my bump of this thread was not directed at you, there is certainly no crime in asking anything you like. It’s the demanding tone of some who seem to think the Roon team should drop stuff just to implement their pet feature that grates a bit at times.

2 Likes

And “peanut gallery” grates.

5 Likes

This is impossible to achieve programmatically. Because a lot depends on hardware. If you use audiophilic hardware for the roon core, for example, as my NUC (fanless aluminum case, good linear power supply, direct connection of the NUC with a streamer via ethernet), then the first option may sound no worse than the second.

Yes.

Yes, there is a buffer on system disc but for full track. See screenshots:
first track

next track

Track loading in max internet speed (60 Mb/s for my internet plan) immediately after the start of the track:

(I apologize for the Russian interface of the monitoring program, no English)

The buffer is most likely on the system disk, because the hard disk is accessed during the buffer filling (the hard disk activity indicator works, however as with the further playback of the track). If this is the case, is it not better to use RAM buffer? @brian ?

3 Likes

Blockquote Roon playback sounds much better to me when an album is played directly rather than through a playlist. The silences are more silent, and the notes are more notey. This is obviously because of the increased processor activity, thread count, object manipulation and garbage collection caused by playlist playback creating RFI and EMI cross polluting the USB earth. Anyone who cannot hear this is either deaf, deluded or has unresolving hi-fi. I demand that Roon pay no attention to anyone who disagrees with me, or who insist that I substantiate my claims, and I demand that Roon divert valuable resources into solving this night and day issue.> Blockquote

Yes, yes, yes! Anyone who think different - get out of here!

1 Like

For some memory playback is important and for others gap less playback is important.

You cannot have both so my question is which is more important?

If roon lost gapless playback many people who listen to classical music, in particular opera or choral works, would no longer be able to use it.

1 Like

I assume there would be an option for RAM vs. gapless. Or you could run 2 RAM endpoints thru a DJ mixer and alternate them for gapless/ track fades!

1 Like

I read the thoughtful reply of a Roon staffer, (above) and I am good with whatever they do. The program is a modern marvel, in that it does so much well, for so many. I am also among those who do not want the software hijacked to do video or what ever else folks dream up. Please just work on the core program. As a multi zone player, there are ‘things’ that just can not be done, as single zone players can do. I will be fine with whatever the staff decides to do, or path they choose. The worth of the whole is more important to me. I want it to succeed, to thrive, to make money. It is the BEST player for me and my files. It does no harm to float ideas, and over time they will or will not work out. But there is noting even close to this software.

3 Likes

The buffer on the system disk is only for content fetched over the internet. It’s there to hedge against irregularities in the internet connection, and to smooth over some details about how the streaming services actually deliver content to us which would otherwise cause user experience harm. Think of it more like a browser cache than a memory play buffer. It caches the un-decoded file bytes right next to the HTTP layer. Content that is already on the local network does not go through that subsystem.

Putting it in RAM would not help it achieve its goals, and would work against the health of the system as a whole by putting extra memory/performance pressure on the machine running the Roon Core. I don’t see any “better” there.

6 Likes

Trust your ears. Don’t pay attention to people who “just know” because they “know” or have measured etc.

2 Likes

No, do not trust your ears.

Aural memory is terrible - this has been proved, with actual science.

Cognitive bias has been proved - with actual science.

The placebo effect is real and has been proved - with actual science.

Your anecdote(s) are just that, nothing else.

6 Likes

Actually, trust measurements.

2 Likes

Yes, science, the evil of our time…?

You said that not I. [moderated]