Does Roon download entire track into RAM? [Memory Playback Discussion]

The flakiness and glitchiness occurs even with default buffers in squeezelite, which does not require a lot of RAM. Secondly, squeezelite works flawlessly - both default and with large buffers - with LMS.

So the flakiness is really in Roon’s implementation of squeezelite support. It’s fine if they haven’t put a lot of resources in that feature, it’s their prerogative.

But again - I have no interest in arguing with other Roon users. As a paid lifetime subscriber, I just want to make this feature request to Roon directly. They can decide how they want to respond.

There’s a feature request forum. The developers review all these requests but don’t necessarily respond.
https://community.roonlabs.com/c/roon/feature-requests

1 Like

If you bother to search I think you’ll find they already have.

2 Likes

OK thanks.

LOL! …nice back down!

He hasn’t backed down, he has thanked someone for pointing him to where he can make his view a feature request. I hope he gets what he wants but without the support of the ‘peanut gallery’ that might be a tough call.

3 Likes

Roon playback sounds much better to me when an album is played directly rather than through a playlist. The silences are more silent, and the notes are more notey. This is obviously because of the increased processor activity, thread count, object manipulation and garbage collection caused by playlist playback creating RFI and EMI cross polluting the USB earth. Anyone who cannot hear this is either deaf, deluded or has unresolving hi-fi. I demand that Roon pay no attention to anyone who disagrees with me, or who insist that I substantiate my claims, and I demand that Roon divert valuable resources into solving this night and day issue.

18 Likes

Which empire do you rule? :wink:

3 Likes

Was Jerry not being ironic?

2 Likes

I assume he was. So was I (hence the winking smiley) :slight_smile:

1 Like

Still giggling. :ok_hand:

3 Likes

Bravo!!! @austinpop and @BigAIMc need to read this several times!

1 Like

Sorry I am very late to this thread, but this bit piqued my interest.

Can anyone offer an explantion for the additional noise a solid state storage device apparently creates, over and above an equally solid state RAM chip please?

There is a very loud click when you insert the sata plug…

3 Likes

That just ruins my listening experience every time

Funny there is a discussion on Naims forum about the Melco N10 and how Melco won’t use SSD as they say they are electrically more noisy than HDD and using Raid also increases noise for HDDs so they have dropped raid from their configs. I switched my ROCK to use an SSD external drive instead of the HDD one I had. I did not notice any change.

It could just be the case that not everything you read online is true.

2 Likes

I don’t think there’s a hobby out there that’s filled with as much bullshit as hi-fi. Must be exhausting chasing the dragon rather than enjoying music.

8 Likes

Wine snobs: “there’s a hint of elderberry in the foretaste, and the mouthfeel is like a delicate brie in summer.”

At least that gets you drunk…

4 Likes

If an SSD is electrically noisy so is RAM.

1 Like