Does Roon download entire track into RAM? [Memory Playback Discussion]

When you do this, is there a delay in between tracks? Is there a delay if you FF over a track?

1 Like

Yes there is. And it’s flaky and glitchy. But oh, the SQ!

This is why it would be fantastic to have this in Roon Bridge natively.

1 Like

Yes I can run squeezelite on my rendu but I don’t know if it has 4gb of free RAM?
AND: not fully sure about installing the additional flags:
" * -b 2097152:2097152 -a 52428800:4::" ?

Cheers!

@austinpop
Just read that the microrendu has only 1GB RAM!

or did you mean to install squeezelite on the server? (not the player)?

I’ve got LMS on the NAS already B.T.W.!

cheers!

Yeah fuhgedaboutit on streamers like *rendu and sMS-200ultra.

You need a system with at least 8GB RAM, and where you preferably have root or Administrator access.

1 Like

I would certainly be interested in hearing the SQ difference, albeit theoretically it should not matter at an isolated endpoint.

In terms of it being baked into Roon, my gut feeling is that it would be very difficult to manage this in terms of syncing with other endpoints, whether those support RAM playback or not, and the overall user experience since would be so much latency and delay in RAM storage before playback.

1 Like

See Brian’s post in this thread.

1 Like

the endpoint rendu has 1gb RAM, and the synology ds218+ NAS server has 6GB RAM (max’d out!)…
what to do now please?
Many thanks!

Sorry, an endpoint with only 1GB memory is not suitable for this experiment. You need:

• an endpoint with at least 8GB RAM,
  • running an OS that is not “locked,” i.e. where you can get root access
  • expertise in OSes, running command lines, editing config files, general troubleshooting.

I was really suggesting this experiment to developers/architects in Roon to try, or to DIY-inclined users.

Over the years I have had limited use of command lines & editing windows files.
I can buy a NUC, maybe two?
what do you recommend as an endpoint and server? preferably something that is available now!
Should the server have more RAM than the endpoint?
Many Thanks!

Paul, before you go to far down a rabbit hole. Please be aware that what austinpop is suggesting is squarely in the area of tinkering and you are on your own if things go south. Roon does not support the use of squeezelite as an endpoint.

ok thanks. I am aware of some permutations like NUC/AL etc.

Paul, @Rugby is absolutely correct, this is squarely in the realm of tinkering. I wasn’t in any way disparaging your computer skills, just wanted you to go in with eyes wide open.

A good place to start is here: https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/55383-from-0-to-nucalram-in-2-hours/

1 Like

Had a quick look at the link - thank you!
Yer most of that is known to me already, but there are a couple of useful tips about setting up AL & the bios. I would use it as a general reference point if I got stuck somewhere.
Cheers!

Excellent. I look forward to your findings with squeezelite.

Why should Roon spend time and money fixing an issue which, if it genuinely exists, is Innuos’ problem? Or caused by non-standard USB cabling? (Ie Lush 2 cables)?

Why should Roon spend time and money implementing features that those who ask for them cannot demonstrate the need for under double-blind conditions?

Please Roon spend your time and our money on stuff that makes a difference. If your software is delivering the right bits in the right order, then it is on whatever is downstream of that to work properly.

I played with memory playback on J River. Made no difference at all. I fired off huge disc and memory intensive processors while music was playing. Made no difference at all, until the system collapsed. Same with roon.

Please Roon stay in the real world.

(And ‘tracks’ in classical music can be 20 minutes long. Or an hour in the case of opera.)

5 Likes

Not sure what “problem” you’re referring to? And this has nothing to do with Innuos.

This is about letting Roon know that an alternate endpoint package (squeezelite instead of Roon’s own RoonBridge) has far better sound quality, and it appears to come from setting large internal buffers. WHY such buffers matter for sound quality remains unclear. But that doesn’t mean the finding should be dismissed.

If Roon cares about sound quality, and I think they do, it bears investigation and thought. Yes, there are concerns about latency and synchronization.

But there’s no need to adopt a “shoot the messenger” mentality. Just listen for yourself. No need to “believe” anything.

2 Likes

I have listened to the effects of memory playback, and of masses of disc and processor activity with J River. I could hear none. I can hear no difference using Roon on my laptop when I cause SSD activity, say by copying files

For your statements to be credible you need to demonstrate that you can hear the differences you claim to exist under double blind conditions. If they are as big as you say it should be easy for you to do so.

The reason I mentioned Innuos is that aposter earlier with an Innuos and PS Audio DAC system said that it sounded different when using memory playback, and that Innuos said this was to do with SSD activity. Shouldn’t you first be asking Innuos and PS Audio how the SSD activity influences the DAC? Is the DAC galvanically isolated? Is noise in the Innuos dealt with badly?

There are many areas where the guys at Roon could spend their time and our money making a better product. This isn’t one of them.

2 Likes

@support Is there a way to just make a feature request directly to Roon Development, without having to interact with the peanut gallery?

This is a simple request: please make the sound quality of Roon native (Core+RAAT+Bridge) equal or better than Roon+squeezelite. Additional details available upon request.

4 Likes

The problem lies with the fact we are suggesting powerful processors and a bucket load of RAM to run a tiny program called Squeezelite. The whole ethos of RoonBridge is you don’t need power or lots of memory. If Roon is going to adopt what is by your own admission ‘flaky and glitchy’ then it needs to have time and energy spent which is not great use of development resource. I think that Roon do enough by enabling the use of Squeezelite. After that it is up to the end user. If making RoonBridge ‘better’ means making it less accessible then it is a backward step.

2 Likes