Does Roon download entire track into RAM? [Memory Playback Discussion]

Question for you: does it sound better while you are actively using Roon on the device? I.e. can you surf through artists, etc., and that sound quality improvement stays in place? In theory this should not be the case, in the sense that RAM playback is meant to eliminate processing noise…if you are processing other things, then it shouldn’t be the case.

My supposition is that it’s not RAM playback per se that is creating the difference in sound. There is some other difference between Roon and the internal player that accounts for it. Just a theory.

1 Like

Hi James,

Yeah interesting question and one that’s too technical for me to answer to be honest.

I chatted to Nuno from Innuos at the Bristol HiFi show in February and whist he listed the many aspects they’d paid attention to for reducing noise in the SE he said that playback from RAM was the biggest factor as it created a buffer between the noise off the SSD and the actual playback.

I’m not doing his explanation justice by any means but that was the gist of it.

Meantime following the exploration of memory playback a hot topic over on the CA forums right now is loading the full OS into RAM. Doing so using Audiolinux on an Intel NUC is particularly successful and I’m experimenting myself with very promising results.

I can’t explain the science but it’s clear that there are several areas where the SQ can be elevated and I think that’s great.

Spent the morning listening to my SE playing to an NUC endpoint running Roon bridge (in Audiolinux) in RAM and it sounded terrific.

Now listening to the new mode on the SE using Squeezelite as an internal endpoint (to enable memory playback) and it sounds terrific too.

First world problems in terms of having to choose one!

Cheers,
Alan

I listen to my Devialet D250 playing Roon without memory playback and it sounds terrific…

4 Likes

That’s great Nick,

No issues at all with that.

And I’m not talking about you but I don’t understand why there are so many defensive posts in reply to the suggestion that Roon explore other ways of improving the SQ.

Roon is the greatest UI and user experience hands down. It’s not the greatest SQ tho and its a reasonable ask that they keep exploring how to improve it.

1 Like

Sound quality is Jaw dropping here on my system. Meridian 218 DSP5200SEs. My Bluesound stuff sounds great too. I can’t fault it…

Well, which is it, which scores better on you terrific scale?

Aah, but that’s due to mqa doing some polishing for you.

Too early to call it.

I’m using the NUC on it’s stock PSU after failing to get its power draw low enough to boot using an Uptone LPS1.2

I need to figure out how to get it onto a better PSU before I can decide.

Non MQA stuff sounds great too and if the data is not in the file, it can’t be delivered. GIGO So it’s all there from Roon.

One problem is that loading the OS into RAM is volatile. I am experimenting with an AulioLinux endpoint at the moment and one problem is on the fly changes like plugging and unplugging USB DAC’s aren’t seen or saved. It takes a snapshot of what it sees on bootup and loads that into RAM. To make changes you need to reboot and re-enable the end point pretty much every time. It isn’t a practical solution yet in my opinion.

1 Like

Some here asked about whether Roon playback to a squeezelite endpoint - configured with large memory buffers via -b - begins playback only after the song is fully cached.

The answer is no, but there is a huge burst of data over the network from Core to endpoint in the first few seconds (as much time as it takes to transfer the song).

I used some monitoring (iftop to be precise) to study this in a bit more detail. If interested, here is the link:

Another user on the same forum has even found that the ALSA buffer parameters (-a or squeezelite) can have a positive improvement to the SQ.

This all sounds gibberish to me :man_shrugging:

As I have yet to receive my ZEN MK3, can you guys with Innuos tell us, now after the new Innuos firmware, which sounds better?

a) Roon via RAAT

b) Roon via LMS per new feature (RAM memory)

c) LMS player (via iPeng or similar)

Now who’s mentioning that which cannot be named?

It would be great if we could have an option for Roon Bridge endpoints to have their RAM buffers filled with an entire song at the start of playback. If that would break multi endpoint synced streaming I’d accept that and I think many would if it’s an option.

1 Like

Mhm, but it works brilliant, and I must say that …better than RAAT for me. The best end-point now in my system is Daphile PC linked to Roon Core (external server -> IP = CORE) with Matrix X-Hi and M2Tech USB DAC on route. In SQ competition easily defeat streamer for 2k.

I think, that any LMS implementation (a lots of them) could work w/out problems in Roon ecosystem like that. In any form. Hardware is not limitation.

I think (my own experience) b) is the best option in SQ

2 Likes

Funny thing this. Discussion going on in Naim forum with some of the new ND streamer users saying that UPnP sounds sweeter than Roon and this could be attributed to the way they buffer songs to Ram before playback in UPnP but obviously not Roon. I preferred Roon myself when I tried comparing to UPnP but was not comparing same source PC as I cant run Minimserver on ROCK.

can roon be used to load a song into RAM?

No it does not do ram playback, there is a buffer but not the full file.

1 Like

If you’re handy with OSes and command lines, it’s quite easy to try this. On the system connected to the DAC, download and run squeezelite. Ensure you have at least 4 GB of free memory. Run squeezelite with these additional flags:

• -b 2097152:2097152 -a 52428800:4::

Point your Roon Core to the squeezelite instance instead, and compare SQ.

This isn’t subtle.

1 Like