Does Roon download entire track into RAM? [Memory Playback Discussion]

said 10 years ago, and still not true…

please, be so kind to point for me where Roon staff declares that all the FLAC proccessing is done in the Core and sent to the end-point decompressed…

Said many times in threads. Not sure if it’s documented outside of the forum. Here’s one easily discovered example:

Thank you… is that an Official assertion or just a post? I ask because seems contradictory… first it afirms RAAT sends uncompresed PCM… and later on is declares “Compression/decompression increases CPU usage on the core a lot and the endpoint a good bit too” so there is some decompression work to be done at the end-point… maybe the Core takes care of “loosy” compression to be sent, and “non loosy” compression (FLAC) is passed through as it comes… it is not clear on that , and that final remark doesnt shade any light on the matter…

1 Like

From that link;

“… RAAT does many things, but most importantly, it separates audio output from the CPU intensive, bus-interrupting, electrically noisy activities of computer audio like managing the play queue, decoding audio streams, talking to music services online, and communicating with the various devices on your network…”

:slightly_smiling_face::+1:

Also mentioned here;

“… 1. Modest endpoint hardware requirements. This means endpoints don’t have to handle expensive DSP or content decoding–that will happen on the server. This means that many existing devices can add support for RoonReady without changing the hardware…”

2 Likes

hey… do not go by “hear-say”… not even mine… please, DO NOT… just do what I did (as I said in my first post on the matter) … “go ahead, try it… rip a good recording (a small strings chamber ensemble is great for the test)… rip it in FLAC, then rip it in WAV, same CD player, same computer, all “ceteris paribus” as it should be… compare both versions in a fine tuned Roon system and you will be surprised”… I mean, facts are far better than opinions and deductions…

It’s from the Chief Technical Office of Roon the guy that helped design its architecture. I think he knows how it works better than you. So yes it’s fact and had been talked about and posted so many times over the years. Roon does all the decoding and processing on the core the streamer receives an uncompressed raw LPCM stream which is what they would convert to if doing it themselves.

1 Like

well I am sure the Chief Technical Office of Roon will surely know better than me how Roon works… But I have never (ever) read a good assertive explanation on the subject in a post from any official Roon representative… all posts on the matter are mentions “invoking” some unmentioned by name authority on the matter, and I thank you, yours is the only one I found that addresses directly the issue at hand… actually, I am ready to give you a vote of confidence and trust all your sayings if you are able to do 2 things for me: 1) explain me why then, in all the experimenting I did so far playing on Roon “twin” files, FLAC & WAV, listeners could ALWAYS tell the difference between them… 2) Try, at least try, not to be unnecessary rude, it is kind of obvious that the Nameless Chief Technical Office of Roon should know (with all those capital letters, for sure) way better than me… so, your following remark was not really necessary…

Good advice, but what your offering is opinions and uncertainties. The fact is WAV and FLAC decode to identical bit streams. Unless you can demonstrate your ability to “hear” FLAC decompression in a controlled test there’s no credibility to your claim.

Unless this was a controlled, double blind ABX test there’s no explanation required.

3 Likes

Well quite.

I do not know why you think it was not a controlled double blind ABX testing… besides that, I was never “offering” opinions and uncertainties… I specifically said “do not trust me, try it yourself” , therefore, I need not to demonstrate a single thing, as I am asking you to trust your own ears…

There is one linked in a post just 6 above yours.

Rather than talk around the subject could you provide details of your tests? Then we may have some facts. I suspect I can devise a test which would allow you to demonstrate your claim.

yes I read that… didnt find it very specific about FLAC, but I suppose it includes it… doesnt explain the preceived SQ difference between FLAC & WAV though…

gladly! as I posted before, do not trust me, please DON´T… rip a good recording (a small strings chamber ensemble is great for the test)… rip it in FLAC, then rip it in WAV, same CD player, same computer, all “ceteris paribus” as it should be… compare both versions in a fine tunned Roon system and you will be surprised… I have posted this paragraph in this thread 3 times so far, and people still belive I am trying to sell snake oil… please, try that and share your findings…

In that post, the Roon Labs CTO is contrasting what RAAT does “RAAT sends uncompressed PCM/DSD” with other approaches where compressed streams have to be decompressed by the endpoints (for example, DLNA). He is arguing that the RAAT approach, where all preprocessing such as FLAC decompression is done on the Roon Core, and the RAAT stream is easy to process by computationally less powerful endpoints is better than competing schemes where the endpoints have to do a lot more local processing. This is as official a statement from Roon Labs as you can find anywhere, they use this company-managed site to share all sorts of “official” information with Roon users.

thank you…

You misunderstand me, I have plenty of rips and encodings I’ve tested in the past. You’re still talking round my question. How did you set up a controlled test that proved you and your other listeners could hear the difference? It’s not the ripping that interests me, it’s the test setup and how comparisons were made.

Because thats purely subjective, there is no reasonable explanation for that perception. The post was explaining how the Roon Core works objectively.