Does Roon work without internet? [answered: no]

When Roon starts with its slowness, even after restarting it, as a troubleshooting practice sometimes I disconnect the internet for weeks and, although not definitive, it seems to improve. I only use local files and everything works perfect. I haven’t passed over 30 days, haven’t the need, but all devices work without issues. The only difference is that my DHCP server is outside of the router.

Thanks Guys for help in my nonexistent lan issues. I’m sure people will come to this thread seeking this knowledge. My local network works without issue. Loss of Internet access has no effect on intranet functionality. I get >500mbps from anywhere in my house. Sonos, plex, jriver all work without issues. Kids are gone and it’s just me and the wife on the local net and she won’t use Roon, She refers to it as “Music with interruptions” Lol. Which is unfair IMO, but impressions are hard to shake.

So please let’s not worry about my local net as I’m not here for you solve my net problem. I’m seeking the answer to the thread title. Trying to better understand Roon and it’s requirements.

But there may be some wheat here. From Geoff the mod.

[quote=“Roon functionality offline, with no internet [not on roadmap], post:15, topic:28477”]
The number is 30 days. Roon software requires an internet connection, but supports going offline for up to 30 days. This is a core part of our license checking system. You may not be able to see how this works but the pirates can.

Also, it’s a requirement for lyrics reporting that we must adhere to. Lyrics copyright owners requires monthly reports on lyrics viewed.
[/quote]

Thank you!

If you had said from the start that it does not stop working as soon as the internet drops, you probably would have had your answer faster. This was the original topic of this thread, so I guess everybody assumed that this was your problem, too.

2 Likes

Your books work without internet?
Wow!

1 Like

With the Roon Core on version 2.0, the grace period is not 30 days anymore. You must have internet access to run the Roon Core 2.0. If you require offline access for any substantial period of time, you must stay on 1.8 Legacy.

1 Like

477 posts were split to a new topic: Roon 2.0 and internet connectivity