Does Roon work without internet? [answered: no]

It might be a DHCP issue from the router. Try static addresses.

As far as Iā€™m aware, iOS devices just seem to give up to on Roon without an Internet connection.

My Android phone carries on quite merrily though.
I assume my Android tablet will as well but I donā€™t recall ever having tried it.

Itā€™s a simple and direct question. No hidden agendas or nefarious motives. Why is it that users are answering a question anecdotally when itā€™s easily answered definitively by a Roon rep? So that the next poor sap gets a clear answer when this comes up? Otherwise why have these threads?

Iā€™d like to know the definitive answer please.

You do realize itā€™s the 4th of July holiday weekend?
I know there is a sticky on the forum stating Roon will not be back until 5th July.

So maybe a little patience if all you desire is an ā€œofficialā€ Roon response.
Thank you and have a great weekend.

Out of curiosity, what are you using for DNS servers? Are all your devices receiving/statically set for external providers? 1.1.1.1. or 8.8.8.8 etc? If these are set up to be on every device then they do not look locally for local addresses until the external failsā€¦ This works great when internet is online but depending on how your router handles the local address lookups this may fail.
What happens if you setu your router as DNS server with the external DNS providers and then configure your devices to look to your router for DNS. Hopefully it has kept the routing table current and you should be able to work without internet connection. No internet shouldnā€™t break local routing.

Iā€™m patient, though the 4th is not a global holiday. And This question is not new as seen above. I asked myself this question and came to the forum seeking an answer. I get to this thread and see several people have asked this. Itā€™s not a trick question.

I donā€™t do streaming integration. All my 18000 albums are local with about 80% metadata already in place. 20% filled in by Roon. Given the maddening amount of time the remote spends spinning waiting for a response, I gather the net is being queried. So I would like to know if itā€™s required, and if I can shut of off or tell it to stick with local and minimize or eliminate internet related disruptions. Iā€™m a Roon nooby still trying to understand why it behaves as it does. Thx

Yes I use googles dns settings.

Your point? Roon is a US based company so they follow US Holidays.

Disconnect from your internet and see what happens. That is the answer.

Sounds like you have an underlying problem that needs sorting. Remotes shouldnā€™t do that.
Raise a support thread.

Thanks for your help. There exist a thread here started from last year asking this question. All I see is anecdotal experiences. Iā€™m asking for a Roonlabs response, like others have asked before me.

This info should be in the FAQ and the marketing copy.

1 Like

Not sure what you mean ā€˜underlying issues.ā€™ I agree it should just work.

It doesnā€™t sound like it is, so get support to look at your system.

There was a definitive answer age back from @danny , I canā€™t just find it (Iā€™ll look some more) but the essence was that Roon periodically checks back to base for a valid license but otherwise all metadata etc is copied to your local library and should not require an active internet connection.

Obviously stuff that depends on your Tidal/Qobuz connection will not work and that includes Artists Discography etc.

What is causing remote lack of connections such as iPads must be local ??

I have particular conditions that require me to restart from scratch (power outages from our power utility) currently as often as 3 times a day . I have yet to see a failure on restart (holds thumbs ā€¦)

3 Likes

Thatā€™s from roons point of view. However, if for example your router wonā€™t serve DHCP once itā€™s offline then some of your clients may fail immediately or at end of lease.
Over the years as people have responded to actual offline incidents itā€™s pretty much pot luck if it will work or not.
In one of the threads one of the networking gurus said there are so many variables in network set ups that it is impossible to give guidance.

But if the router stops serving DHCP if it has no upstream connection, everything on the local network that used DHCP would stop working, not just Roon.

(And arguably it would be a poor or misconfigured router)

And in another thread, Danny says:

Which certainly is my experience

1 Like

Nothing or everything?
That was my point if it was everything, itā€™s not a roon issue per se, itā€™s a network issue overall.

Where did your set the DNS to Google ? On your router or your individual devices? You should not set it on devices as then when you loose internet it will fail . Devices should always get your routers IP for DNS server and the router itself you set the DNS service/s to use this way of internet is down the network will perform as normal just without internet.

1 Like

Sorry, I meant everything, corrected above.

Agreed, itā€™s probably a network issue. I just meant that Danny did say as much in the other post I linked, irrespective of the 30-day license check.

1 Like