Does Ropieee buffers?

Now and then, even with a very good Wifi5 connection, I have drops and gliches. This should be impossible with a good buffer. I wonder if RoPieee buffers music before sending it to DAC, and I don’t find this information easily. If so, what size have the buffer ? Is there a mean to increase the buffer size ? I have a 4go Raspi4, there is plenty of size for a buffer (even with 2Go). I can accepts a delay in music restitution for a glitch free experience.

Which service is RoPieee running? Upnp, Squeezelite, Roon ….

Roon is very sensitive to the amount of data passed often wifi simply isnt up to it

@spockfish can comment on buffers but meanwhile maybe try an ethernet cable if you can

If it is very sensitive, so it does not buffer…

RAAT doesnt use a large buffer, so not a lot Ropieee can do, I would look at you wifi setup as this will be the cause. I have multliple devices with roon on wifi including Ropieee ones one owith never a drop out upto DSD512.

Maybe buffer size may be configured in RAAT ?

Is your room server hardwired? If not that will likely help - 1 WiFi hop rather than 2.

1 Like

Take a look in Device setup → Show advanced, and you may be able to alter ‘Buffer size’. I have my RPi attached to a DragonFly Cobalt and can increase the buffer up to 500ms. YMMV.

That’s not a streaming buffer it’s for usb and I doubt it will help here.

Possibly not, as I don’t really understand how it’s implemented, but wouldn’t a buffer at the device - usb or otherwise - mitigate temporary wifi glitches?

No with the small amounts these are they would not help at all. They are purely to help with usb playback issues from device to dac they are not for buffering significant amounts of data to get through drops in bandwidth.

1 Like

No because RAAT must by design be able to play in sync in different zones with hardware from different manufacturers, so it needs to keep tight control over sync timing, and large buffers (which not every hardware would have) would break this. (They would have to require a certain, fixed, larger buffer size from all Roon Ready devices, and this is probably not practical)

3 Likes

Thanks for this explanation. This is the information I was seeking. Thanks for all answers also, I can live with one glitch every 5 or 10 hours of listening, this is approximatively the rate. A cable would be difficult to put in place, and I am not convinced this would resolve the problem. I thought about a Wiki key with antenna, but not convinced also this would resolve the problem (as the wifi link is “excellent” according to Wifi Nest Pro), and burdens USB bus of Raspi.

you could try two AC PowerLine adapters, if source and destination are on the same power switch/fuse, like the ones made by Fritz! or Devolo. Worked well for me.

This is incorrect afaik. RAAT endpoints all have individual buffers and you can configure up to 5 seconds.

Up to 500 ms (0.5 seconds)…
(in a RoPieee endpoint)

Agree @Geoff_Coupe , 500ms.

Clearly quick maths is not my strength :rofl:

My RAAT endpoint does not:

and as far as I am aware this is what @CrystalGipsy referred to here:

Also: