Does the Nucleus offer anything in terms of sonic improvement over say using an iMac

I’m telling you nothing affects SQ – We do not advertise Roon OS affects SQ nor have we ever made such a claim. Roon OS is all about the UX. Size does matter when doing an update, which is part of the user experience.

As for “process count”, you seem to be a guy in the know, and should know this does not actually matter – what matters is context switches. If you really need me to list userland processes:

busybox init
a network manager process (think ifplugd + dhcp + zeroconf + staticip + filesystem watcher)
sshd
smbd (samba)
nmbd (netbios)
mdnsd (bonjour)
acpid (idle until you hit power button)
a process to display status on console and watchdog everything

as for kernel, the kernel has been trimmed significantly from what a general OS like ubuntu has… we ship with a small number of modules (thus the limits of device support), and very few subsystems are enabled. Yes, I understand if stuff isn’t used, it isn’t used…but its amazing how much crap is used just because it’s there.

There is no typical Linux distribution server stuff:

cron + friends
systemd + the assload that it comes with
gettys
udev
md/lv/pv stuff
iscsi
snap stuff
policy kit stuff
lxc stuff
log management
email stuff

If you think your ubuntu is lightweight, you can keep thinking so… but you and I have a very different definition of lightweight. Ubuntu isn’t the fat pig that MacOS and Windows are, but even a minimal Ubuntu is in a different class than Roon OS.

as for 0% CPU, stop looking at your gui tool… instead look at /proc/[pid]/status

additionally we build everything minimally as we can – so while your systemd is spewing to the journals/logs/syslog, Roon OS processes are not.

just check this out:

# cat /proc/1/status | grep ctxt
voluntary_ctxt_switches:	1343
nonvoluntary_ctxt_switches:	144
# uptime
 17:20:13 up 97 days, 15:55,  load average: 0.00, 0.02, 0.00

I’m with you on the SQ point here… but you asked a question about the trimness of Nucleus (Roon OS) and I’m responding to that fact.

There are other things that are awesome about Roon OS – such as the fact that multiple versions of the OS can be installed at the same time (super awesome when it comes to updates), everything running out of RAM so little OS-induced SSD wear, full-reset on reboot, and many more things that make it the best “appliance” we could.

9 Likes