Does the Roon Devialet AIR work reliably now?

Just wondering if dropouts are still a thing with Roon’s Devialet AIR implementation?

I’ve been using an external pi based RAAT streamer for ages now and its been absolutely rock solid - and I mean rock solid, maybe a couple dropouts over years - so I’m loathe to even think about touching it after the previous setup. But figured maybe things have changed and its matured and dropouts are no longer a thing. If so I’ll experiment a bit and see whether can finally clear a bit of clutter.

Thanks

1 Like

Have not tried it, but air has not been updated in years. No reason to believe anything has changed.

I’m with you. I feed my Dev with an ifi zen stream upsampled to dsd in Roon. Solid as a rock for two years.

1 Like

Welcome back! :grinning:

I have exclusively used Roon AIR since it became available, it has given rise to zero issues in that time, and personally, I find the sound marginally preferable to RAAT (or maybe that is just my imagination). Note that this is using a wired connection - I have not explored the use of WiFi.

1 Like

Hello again Steve!

As @zappyroon said, Roon’s built-in support for AIR is very solid and I’ve had no problems with it, again using wired Ethernet. You might know that the newer Expert Pro series are Roon Ready (that is, use RAAT) provided that they have the Core Infinity board fitted, so that is an alternative which also works very nicely.

1 Like

I played around yesterday with Roon Air to my classic Devialet D- Premiere. I set it up using the IOT band on my Deco XE75 Pro wifi as that “InternetOfThings” band I can set to just use 2.4 GHz band only. It seemed to work well and sounded great but did have a few drop outs …will have to test more. The wifi router is a few feet from the D-Premiere. This D-Premiere also has an HDMI in so I was going to use that input as a sound comparison directly from my Roon NUC

I had been using RAAT when my D was upgraded to Core Infinity and had never looked back. At that time, on the few reference tracks that I had auditioned, RAAT sounded slightly more relaxed and less harsh.