Does this DAC exist?

@j_c, @hifi_swlon

Paragraph two of same article actually lend credence to the superiority of balanced output between audio boxes which is what the OP actually wants; DAC XLR to speaker XLR:

“Please understand that Benchmark strongly encourages the use of balanced line-level interfaces between audio products. All of our products are equipped with fully-balanced XLR analog inputs and outputs. In these box-to-box line-level connections, a balanced interface can provide substantial performance improvements. Balanced line-level interfaces reject hum and noise while providing a higher voltage level. The higher signal levels can improve the SNR (signal to noise ratio) of the audio system.”

The 3rd to the last paragraph talks about possible better harmonics in balanced headphone line:

“Please note that distortion is not always a bad thing (see Two Distinct Types of Audio Products). Many audio products are designed to add some harmonic distortion in an effort to add warmth to the audio reproduction. This is an artistic choice that will change the way a recording sounds. If the goal is to add distortion, a balanced headphone amplifier may produce more harmonics than a single-ended design.”

I’m not obstinate about balanced headphone line, I hardly find much of a difference from the SE. Yet every time I see a manufacturer claiming the moral high ground on a particular subject, I wonder. So Sony, Pioneer, AK, Schiit, Woo Audio and many more who makes balanced HP are in on a conspiracy to milk money from the consumers or worse they don’t even understand science (only this particular manufacturer is scientifically sound). Sounds like Schiit’s refusal to make a DAC capable of DSD decoding. The audio world is crazy, no doubt, too many myths and snake oil sellers. For me, I will worry more about people selling HP cables for $800 than weather a balanced hp makes a difference or not.

Checking the used market, I can get a Chord Mojo or an AudioLab M-DAC (the old, not + version) for about $350 (Chord with warranty left). Is it worth it, and if so, which sounds best?

I liked my Mojo a lot. @danny seems to like his too: :slight_smile:

This one lacks a few functionalities I want, but still interesting: Audiolab M-DAC Mini
Not very fancy looking though, but its how it sound that matters.

This is a big drawback of Mojo though: https://community.roonlabs.com/t/chord-mojo-roon-volume-control-mode/25366
Combine this with its button-press volume, and its a little impractical (I have Windows volume control on my keyboard, which Roon reads and uses to set DAC volume when using “Use device control” and the DAC is in exclusive mode).

I have thought about it and that makes a lot of sense, I decided to wait with a new DAC. The DragonFly Red I have now seems to be a good DAC for a pair of active speakers like X14A. And it does sound good, so now I will focus on listening to music :slight_smile:

Next upgrade I will do will probably be to sell all I have, and get passive speakers with either a DAC + analog amp, or a fully digital amplifier (or for that matter, just a wireless LS50). Or if I get rich, a Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 with Bowers & Wilkins 805 D3 (which they have in a local store close by) :sunglasses:

Thanks for the suggestions and help, I appreciate it! :slight_smile:

I actually find the Mojo volume control works better than expected!
Basically, i am from the era when volume controls were heavy, round and you turned them clockwise to increase sound level, but i have no issues with the Mojos buttons.
Each to his own i suppose, but the user experience with the Mojo is better to me than i first expected.
Besides, it performs and sounds bloody well! :smiley: