Dolby Atmos support in Roon (ROCK)? - Now that Tidal now extends its support (not only for Android)

So if there is a Mch Atmos stream besides the metadata, why not open it up for those that feel 5.1 is good enough.

I think you can
on a good high-end AVR you can select output (5.1, 7.1, Atmos etc.), at least on my Marantz SR 8012.

And can you output these selected streams via HDMI?

Yup, I even think you must use HDMI since it’s the most common digital interface considering HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection):

Hello Gentlemen,

I am one of the new members of the room community, my regular subscription just started now.

I find this topic highly interesting, since also I am pretty much into high end audiophile music, whenever possible surround sound,vwhenever and if it adds to the overall experience.

I have a modest collection of pure audio Blu-ray s which I bought together from overall this world: besides Pink Floyd (wish you were here, the immersion box set, Metallica the black album (still DVD, but great), Coldplay, a head full of dreams, Alan Parsons, Tales of mystery and imagination, eye in the sky, ammonia Avenue, all Beethoven symphonies, Dvorak symphonies number five and nine and others). Elvis an simply playing over my Blu-ray towards my Marantz AVR.

in may I also stumbled over the news, that Tidal offers music in Dolby Atmos containers. I contacted the Marantz customer support and was told, that any wireless transmission would not support Dolby Atmos containers. Decided then to purchase in Amazon 4k TV Stick, plugged it into one of the HDMI Outlets of the Marantz, able now to get the Dolby Atmos Stream played on it. But that takes place outside the roon world.

Therefore would appreciate very much, if roon in the future would offer possibilities to include these streams.

Cheers, Marcus

4 Likes

Does Roon support Tidal Atmos? If not will it in the future?

Mike

1 Like

It doesn’t currently.

I’m ready anytime for Roon to do this. Only way to get Tidal Atmos into my SSP at the moment is via the Tidal app on Apple TV.

Roon Masters – any word on this? Have a Nucleus+ outputting via HDMI to my SSP and would love to be able to stay in Roon for my Tidal surround rather than have to flip to ATV. Local multichannel files play fine thru HDMI via the Nucleus. What’s up?

2 Likes

@Danny is Roon going support this or are we going to have to use other methods to access this Atmos content?

4 Likes

bump bump now its 10 characters

2 Likes

Do we have a definitive stance from the Roon team on when/if Roon will support Dolby Atmos tracks via Tidal (or another service and/or locally)? My intended use for Roon has always been to be able to play the best version of a song or album in a single aggregated library in a single user interface - and it has been great for that. But currently, I’m spending time in Tidal’s app for the atmos tracks and I want to be in Roon instead. With more and more atmos tracks coming every day, this functionality feels more and more important to me as a customer and user of Roon. I’ve spent years collecting multichannel music on DVD-A, Blu-Ray, SACD, etc and I’d love to incorporate this exciting new crop of multichannel titles into my Roon library along with my existing library. Curious what other Roon users and the Roon team feel about this.

3 Likes

Right there with you @Brandon. I would love to know what Roon is thinking on this.

1 Like

Might I suggest that you vote for the feature in the Feature Requests thread?

3 Likes

Are you convinced yet that Atmos isn’t a “footnote in the history of audio formats”? Because clearly it is not. There are literally tracks and albums coming out every single day. The professional mixing community is all over Atmos. Is this feeling amongst the Roon development team the reason we still don’t have Atmos in Roon? Or worse yet
no word from the Roon team about support (e.g. “considering it”, “will never happen”, etc.) I’m sorry, but a platform that positions itself as a service for music enthusiasts that aggregates the best versions of albums and songs cannot also continue to ignore Atmos. And frankly speaking, Atmos should have been on the radar from the beginning. I love Roon. And it pains me to see this unfortunate disconnect. And even more unfortunate that I’m back to bouncing between Roon and other apps, which is the whole reason I got Roon to begin with.

3 Likes

I’d imagine licensing plays its part into supporting this.

1 Like

Of course, some guys jump right on every bandwagon that’s out there in marketing, but what Apple and Sony have provided (for other music services) so far doesn’t make me want to travel.

HiFi or HiRes is being used too full-bodied for me and lumped together with Dolby Atmos, 3D and many others in a windy pot.

Roon should remain high-end.

First, it will be interesting to see if Apple or Amazon really picks up more paying customers, or just lowered prices for what is 100% in the marketing slogans but 99% not yet in the catalogs.

Don Was, president of Blue Note Records this week in Forbes: “I was in New York last Wednesday, and we did Dolby Atmos mixes of a lot of our records”

2 Likes

Roon supporting Atmos and “remaining high-end” are not at all mutually exclusive concepts. To the contrary. A good Roon system is expensive. I for one got into Roon partly because of its excellent support for multichannel and hi-res formats. Atmos is a new multichannel format with clearly better widespread adoption, partly because it is scalable, which makes it FAR more viable. Atmos is not a “bandwagon” or “marketing”. It’s a real technology with real benefits to music. Why must I switch to Tidal to listen to a track when Roon is supposed to be the center of my music listening world? The whole point of Roon is aggregation, discovery, and playing the best version available for the listener is it not? I prefer some Atmos mixes to the stereo or in some cases the previous 5.1 mixes. Shouldn’t Roon be able to play that version?

3 Likes

Exactly. Anyone tied into the professional mixing community knows full well that Atmos has a huge push behind it and that new mixes are coming fast and furious.

Let me also point out something else about Atmos for us music lovers: There is no mastering in the sense that we currently think about it. So mixes can be far more dynamic and musical, with no need for aggressive limiting and squashing that we so often hear. Music enthusiasts should care very much about this. Atmos is a key ingredient to the post-loudness wars era.

2 Likes

I can’t imagine Dolby would make it difficult to support a platform they are trying to make ubiquitous. Roon can pass along all or a portion of any cost to the user if they must. I’d gladly pay a small fee.