Don Cherry (Jazz trumpeter) and Don Cherry (Singer)

artist disambiguation is really an issue in Roon, so I want to revive this thread and start with an example:

Don Cherry (Jazz trumpeter) and Don Cherry (Singer)

The album titles 'Let It Be Me' (1967) and 'Don Cherry' (1969) are by Donald Ross Cherry aka Don Cherry, the singer. When clicking on the artist link on the album page we are nevertheless forwarded to Donald Eugene Cherry aka Don Cherry, the jazz trumpeter. No way to disambiguate the two. Rats!
2 Likes

Artist disambiguation is definitely an issue given the dependency on third party data, the quality of which is pretty iffy sometimes. Roon has been so successful with Valence for images, I really wonder if there is some opportunity to put a Roon engineered, crowd sourced layer between the third party and the end user experience to disambiguate artists.

If the majority of users that logged in thought that the artist Cream was comprised of three fellows named Eric, Jack, and Ginger, maybe the other artists listed under that name could be flagged back to the data providers to be corrected.

Just a thought. It’s not an easy problem. Another alternative would be just to be able to click an album and have an option to never show it anywhere.

Analogy for the above might be GMail options “Report Spam” or “Report Spam and Unsubscribe” in our case might be “Not the expected artist” or “Not the expected artist and never show this album again”.

Hi @Manfred_Kipfelsberge,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. As always, we appreciate the heads up and your assistance.

I just wanted to update you that we’ve reached out directly to TIDAL and Qobuz to notify them of these artist equivalence mistakes. Please understand that we can’t make any promises regarding a timeline for corrections when coordinating with our streaming partners. They generally make corrections fairly quickly.

If you don’t see a change in a few weeks please let us know.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.