Don't remove items from the Queue when they've played [done in 1.4]

Just noting that a long press on tablet or phone is the equivalent of a right click.

Keeping my fingers crossed that Roon will offer the user a choice for destructive or non-destructive queue soon so we can end this debate and get back to the music!

1 Like

ipeng is the best $9 I’ve ever spent on my music system!

I’m one of the users for whom the destructive queue is a deal-breaker. For me, all of the great things about Roon added up together (and there are many) don’t outweigh the negative of the current queue behavior.

I couldn’t agree with @Krutsch more strongly than if I’d written this myself: [quote=“Krutsch, post:68, topic:6060”]
I spend much of my listening time by: bringing up an artist or an album or a playlist and then skipping around to hear different tracks, out of order with repeats.

That basic playback model is pure agony with Roon and is so easy to with even a CD player, an iPod, or any of the other media players I’ve used in the past (iTunes, Audirvana, various MPD playback apps… really, all of them).

There are a number of threads discussing the need for a non-consuming queue and to be able to tap-and-play without: tap-and-hold, tap a play-from-here button and the confirm via the paw masher.
[/quote]
Obviously, not everyone listens to music this way, but for those of us that do, Roon, in its current implementation, just doesn’t work. As @SJB stated above, what we want is list behavior, not queue behavior - at least as an option. A “playlist” that we have not yet saved.

It would also be great if the process of adding music to the queue/list could be simplified to a maximum of two steps - never three. I could give examples of other phone & tablet apps that do this well.

Thanks for your responses @andybob, but History is really not a solution. It still requires that we keep finding and re-adding music to the queue that we’ve already added, after which it will again disappear immediately as we play it.

I check this forum from time to time, hoping for movement on this topic, but unless the team decides to add a non-destructive queue (list) option, I have to conclude that Roon isn’t for me.

1 Like

What leaves a stale aftertaste is, that even after hundreds of posting in different threads, not one single comment from the roon team was made.

Not only a few people here wish only for a toggle to decide for themselves if they want queue- or list-behavior.
Please, roon team, at least let us know, why we (paying customers) can’t have that toggle.

2 Likes

Yes but if you add all the people posting up it does not come to many, what about all the people who are not vociferous about not wanting a non-destructive queue?

I guess I am in that category. Perfectly happy the way it currently works. In fact it would start to annoy me if I had to constanty clear the queue. But it seems to me that it would not be too difficult to offer both methods. I don’t really know, as I don’t develop software. Just seems like it would not be too hard. It is really just a type of playlist.

2 Likes

The option to have the queue expunge what’s been played or leave it intact would be nice. That way users choose which behaviour they prefer. Whilst I’ve gotten used to the queue as it currently is (and it doesn’t feature in my life much because I tend to listen to albums) I do find it a big irritant on those occasions that I decide I enjoyed a track so much I want to hear it again, right now.

2 Likes

Just noting that the transport back control will bring back recently played songs.

Simply press the “Rewind” or Back button will replay the last song played

Press the Back button 4 times will bring back the last 4 Tracks played

1 Like

What will be the back button behaviour in a non-destructive queue?
a) Will it allready play the last played song? But what did this do with your queue if you jump around in the queue?
b) Or should it play the track before the current track? But how can I repeat the last songs after a jump?

Not so easy.

Just like a CD player. It’s that easy, if you’ve ever used one of those.

1 Like

so it’s b) and “But how can I repeat the last songs after a jump?” is not possible.
For me an unsatisfiing solution. I want the hear the last song I have listened, if I press back button.

PS: And yes, I used a CD player. and vinyl and a tape deck. All these things we used in the 70s and 80s. But I don’t want to go back and I am happy we have better ways to listen music now.

There wouldn’t necessarily be a need to manually clear the queue. Something as simple as this would be effective:

• Play Button: Replaces queue/list, plays immediately
  • Add Button: Adds to queue/list, doesn’t change what’s currently playing
  • Add & Play Button: Adds to queue/list, plays newly added music immediately

3 buttons. Less frequently used options could be in a submenu/overlay.

But this is getting further down the road. My primary request is for an option for list behavior. I would happily clear it myself. Everyone who is pleased with the current implementation would not be impacted in any way. It is hard for me to see how optionally leaving the queue/list intact would be difficult to implement.

Agreed.

2 Likes

With the behavior we’re requesting, all of the songs would remain in the queue/list, so you could play any of them in any way you choose. That’s the whole point.

But regardless, this is not a demand that you have to make any changes @AE67 . I want Roon to remain the way it is for those that are happy with it. I’d like Roon to add an option for the behavior I prefer.

1 Like

I don’t think you are following what many of us are asking for: we want a static list of songs, a non-consuming queue for playback. If you want to play an earlier song in an album or a playlist… you… tap on it and it starts playback from that point forward. I swear, this is so basic and how every other media player works.

And, you know what, if you don’t like that… you toggle on the consuming queue and each song you play disappears from the queue, as soon as it advances to the next track (like it does, today). BubbleUPnP and MPDroid work exactly this - they have a simple toggle between these two behaviors. Even iTunes has something like this with the UpNext queue.

Actually, iTunes is really the best of both worlds with their model. By default, it presents an album or a playlist and you just select and click the play button or just double-click to start playback from that point forward, regardless of what’s playing now. Or, alternatively, you can right-click and select Play Next or Add to Up Next, as appropriate.

It ain’t necessarily so. In the queue view you can tap a track and get options:
“Play from here” permanently skips tracks higher in the queue
“Play Now” promotes the selected track, but the queue then continues undisturbed.

1 Like

I too would rather it be listed with retention but if not permanent then definitely optional behavior

Sonos has updated their player app and on this topic (non-consuming queue), Sonos has really come full circle. They have effectively buried the queue and now tapping on an album or track just plays it, with one tap, replacing the existing queue with the new album. If you tap on a track, it replaces the queue with the complete album and starts playback from the selected song.

Having participated in Sonos’ beta program, I can tell you they didn’t make that change lightly and I suspect received overwhelming feedback from customers. The Sonos UX is something to study.

There is still an option to add to the queue, et al., but the default behavior is as described above.

Well I guess you can add my name to the “Static Playlist” queue and a switchable option would keep everyone happy (as would a single touch to play).
This is a personal preference so please chaps, don’t waste your time analysing this view.
In theory at least, this is a place where we can feed ideas into an environment that the Roon developers can use to enhance and improve flexibility of an already excellent product. What seems missing, is feedback from those developers. I know they are busy but if someone would say “we’re thinking about it” or “not a chance pal” we could expend our efforts in other areas.

One can hope :thinking:

1 Like