Down-to-earth recommendations to newcomers

Not that I agree (or disagree) with his use / context, as I don’t care either way… but for information:

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=king+canute

Urban Dictionary never fails to teach and entertain :grin:

1 Like

Ahem, mine was the classical reference!

1 Like

LOL. Awkward

:grin:

1 Like

This forum never fails to educate and entertain.

Agreed. Too much advice is plain wrong. Recommendations to upgrade cables due to poor component performance is always wrong. If a device doesn’t work properly with ordinary cables then it simply doesn’t work properly. Equipment is supposed to work without being extremely finicky. Attributing magical properties to bits of wire simply because components are poorly performing is probably the most common bad advice given.

3 Likes

12 posts were split to a new topic: Troubles getting Cocktail Audio D50 to work with Roon

The biggest push-back comment I get about Roon from both newbies and from experienced audiophiles thinking about network audio is the cost of the license. For some reason they care less about the cost of the gear than they do about paying Roon for the product. I like to respond by asking if they ever used Microsoft Office and if so how much did that cost them or their employer? I also ask them if they would like to not be paid for their work. “But there are free solutions!” they say. And I reply that they get what they pay for.

1 Like

Computer audio is not for sissies :face_with_head_bandage:. It’s NOT Roon specific

Hang in there explain in detail what your issues are be inundated with help from 5 continents

Then you can join the FUN

Mike

Really???

It does take a little tech savvy …

At least that’s what I found when I first dipped the toe

But I’m a bit of a PC bashed anyway

Mike

I think @anon82498359 is objecting to the term ‘sissies’. Depending on the person and/or the country, that term can be construed as an insult to certain demographics.

You just meant ‘fainthearted’, right?. :laughing:

3 Likes

You’re right, it is possible that I interpreted Mike’s response as being tougher than he intended, my bad.

2 Likes

It comes from a local T shirt

“Africa is not for sissies”

No offense meant I assure you

Faint hearted is probably a better choice

Mike

Well, what my “Really???” was really about :slight_smile: is the fact that I believe that one doesn’t really :slight_smile: need to be strong hearted in order to became a little tech savvy, it’s just a matter of willingness.

Anyway, going back to the topic, you’re right, unfortunately the computer audio it’s a complicated thing from the beginning till the (never) end!

This thread got a shout-out in Paul McGowan’s blog today: https://www.psaudio.com/pauls-posts/back-to-basics/

The comments are also pretty interesting to read, largely along the same lines as here. Seems like there are a lot more frustrated people wanting to use Roon but running into issues than I had realized.

Just wondering: shouldn’t there be a separate X50 thread by now?

2 Likes

In general, this idea of people putting storage into devices that will be used as endpoints is not ideal. I think people build like that for other software systems. But in the Roon architecture, that’s not normal.

It isn’t really a network load problem. Think of it this way: you have storage somewhere else than the Core, the Core pulls the content from the storage device, does its thing, and sends it to the endpoint. Common arrangement, no problem. In the Cocktail case, it appears the storage and endpoint are the same device, but the network doesn’t care.

That said, with all this talk about using a networked endpoint instead of direct USB connection, you want the endpoint minimalistic. That’s the last point I would want spinning drives. It will work, but it’s not ideal, it’s ass-backward.

What I would do in that case, with an endpoint with two RAIDed spinning drives, I would copy the content away somewhere else, and then pull those drives out of there.

Store it where? How to reuse those 4TB drives? No matter. Remember, storage is free. No, really, it’s free. On Amazon, 6 TB drives are less than $200. One album is about one GB, so 6,000 albums for $200, that is 3 cents per album, about 1 % of the cost of the albums.

You say you have 10 TB of music? That’s a hell of a lot. But it is still a few hundred dollars total. Roundoff compared to the other gear discussed here.

1 Like

It comes from a T Shirt

when I got to South Africa 23 years ago it was a very common phrase fort us IMPORTS (From England) to warn of of the pitfalls of South African life.

I just think it fits nicely with the pitfalls of Computer Audio

I am a retired developer so PC’s don’t phase me

Certainly no offence meant just humour

Cheers
Mike

2 Likes

I had this Bette Davis quote and photo as a postcard years ago. Truer words were never spoken.

1 Like

I have split off the X50 related posts into a thread of its own in the support forum:

1 Like