Downgrading from Tidal HiFi+ to HiFi

Possibly a dumb question, but I’m downgrading from HiFi+ to HiFi. I’m assuming that those albums which I’ve added to Roon library from Tidal which are MQA will be automatically downgraded to HiFi. I’m hoping that I won’t lose any album from the library or other disruptions. Anyone ever do this and experience any issues?

1 Like

You should keep everything but not guaranteed for all albums.

I made this jump a few months ago.
I kept all music including 24/96 MQA albums, but they play at 16/44.

Besides wanting to occasionally play Atmos on my HT system (which I cannot) I notice very little difference.

I was waiting for them to announce the rest of their payment changes before I decide whether to upgrade again in the future. I like the idea of my most streamed band getting $2 a month so want to see what else they do.

4 Likes

That’s good to know , I don’t use MQA , even with my Sony 1000 MX4 headphones the 360 stuff doesn’t really sound much different except the demo tracks that are recorded especially to show off the feature. It only works on Bluetooth anyway !!

I was on a special discount until last month. I was waiting to see if they put me back to full price before I changed - they did

Thanks for the nudge

The Atmos was more for the HT 7.1 system.
I normally listen to music on a separate 2.1 setup, but for concert’s and specially mixed albums, I would occasionally like to use the Shield TV, which has a nice implementation of Tidal to play it.
I will try it again at some point

If you are in the US, Best Buy still has Hifi for $80/yr:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tidal-hifi-12-month-music-subscription-starting-at-purchase-auto-renews-at-79-99-per-year-digital/6407158.p?skuId=6407158

They also have Hifi+ for $120/yr.

1 Like

I am in South Africa , Tidal often offer deals on a country basis rather than just the plain dollar price. . The “worse” the currency the better the deal. I presume some algorithm on the buying power of the currency.

The Rand is about 15 to the dollar (TODAY !!) , the new Hi Fi Tier is R60 = $4 , Hi Fi Plus is R 120 = $8 per month so better than the Best Buy offer. The difference is the Innovative music types, Atmos, 360 MQA etc. Hi Fi is limited to CD quality.

Apple are setting the trend at R60 = $4 .Everyone is having to keep competitive (Spotify Premium etc)

Maybe Roon should adopt the same algorithm ,half price Roon would be nice :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

3 Likes

Speaking of Tidal Hifi v. Hifi+, is it just me or does anyone else notice fewer and fewer MQA titles in weekly new releases?

MQA is NOT lossless, just a stupid marketing stunt to lure your money. I much prefer 16/44.

1 Like

I’m kind of figuring as much as well. Thanks

I’m on the Tidal Masters plan via HiFi Buys for $120 per year. I use both Tidal and Qobuz and like both. I try to use Tidal mostly away from home streaming via cellular hotspot data, instead of 96 and 192 Qobuz. If I run out of hotspot data (135GB), I switch to Apple Music via iPhone.