Downloading music to ARC is slow

Yep it’s rubbish no idea what they are doing to make it so crap. PlexAmp just doesn’t suffer from this at all. Albums take seconds not minutes so it’s not iOS capping things or making it overheat.

1 Like

This so unreliable, it is never correct. Just close and reopen ARC and you will see.

Maybe but it is there. And the progress circle isn’t unreliable for me (the numbers might) and let’s one „know that things are being done.“

Fine. I can bearly distinguish that circle progress on iPhone, light purple vs a bit darker purple… not fine by me.

I can see it. It’s better than nothing and I just pointed it out to the person who asked for progress information. Is that really so bad that we have to endlessly debate it?

You are right, it is better than nothing. And I don’t want to argue. All I wanted to say I would prefer a circle without a background for better contrast, i.e. not light purple background with a bit darker purple indicator.

I’m not disputing that it could be better, like so many things in ARC. :kissing_smiling_eyes:

I just downloaded 10 albums for the first time in awhile and it was downright snappy. Much improved.

I’m having issues - it just hangs and stops. iOS 17.2 / iPhone 12. Doesn’t seem much improved from what others are saying above.

Hi. Does anyone know if there is an update on the downloads issue? Thanks.

Download speed is improved in the latest beta updates in the Early Access update track, and there are additional improvements for downloads as well. These updates are expected to be released in the regular production track quite soon.

The beta update where this was introduced:

The latest update with additional fixes:

1 Like

Production is already at build 1357 and no improvement in downloads (Though ARC is 220).

Read the release notes for 1357. They took out the ARC changes in order to quickly deliver the necessary performance fixes of Roon Server for the affected people.

I’m using EA and there is definitely a big download speed improvement

Hey all, I was lurking here and this feedback was instrumental in our recent downloads work. Thanks for reporting and documenting. Please let us know how things feel now. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Extremely fast for me. I’m using Tailscale and downloaded a load of music while away with zero problems. Album downloaded within 20 seconds, sometimes faster. Fibre 930/100.

1 Like

I don’t really have a basis for comparison because I’ve just started within the last week to use Roon full time, but I’m on Arc 226 for Android and it feels incredibly slow for downloading files. To make matters worse, background downloading does not occur at all on my Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 5. I’ve set battery usage to unrestricted for Roon Arc with no joy. I can’t have Roon Arc just sitting in the foreground on my phone for several days while it slowly downloads all my albums.

1 Like

Do you have numbers? Seconds per album?

FWIW for me it takes ~15 secs for an average CD ~330 MB, so about 175 Mbit/s. The phone is on Wifi6 with nominal ~1700 Mbit/s according to router, so it could do faster (and internet speed test maxes out my 300 Mbit/s ISP line), but for me it feels OK insofar as it doesn’t slow me down practically.

I’m going to say probably more like 30 seconds per album for me. I’m sure the spinny hard drive I’m using is what’s making it seem slow. But the bigger issue is background downloads don’t work and it feels slow as hell because I have to keep my phone awake and in the Arc app.

Apparently there’s one caveat to that, though. If I’m playing music in Arc background downloads do appear to work. Of course I found that out just now after getting about 4/5 through syncing my collection because I finally am doing some listening on my phone while at home for once (lazy Saturday morning in bed). So for others who need to download a lot of music, just load up a long queue or let Roon radio run lol

That’s surely weird because it’s part of what should be improved now. And they work for me even on iOS which is much more restrictive in this regard.

Didn’t check with Android though - but background downloads worked with older versions for me on Android after disabling battery optimization for ARC. What’s your setting for that?

Background dl work even when app is not in use or still same caveats as before?