Dropouts using Mac Mini and Netgear WN2500RP rang extender

Great thinking. That would have probably been the next suggestion. However, if it were me at this point, I would start by testing the Roon setup from the core outwards to isolate when the drop outs begin

1. I would try copying some music locally and playing the music on local zone on the mac mini; thus testing that Roon in a self contained environment without the network at all works without drop outs.
  2. After that, I would attach the DAC directly to the mac mini and see if it worked correctly
  3. Then, I would add the BDP-2 between Roon and the DAC
  4. And finally, add the NAS back into the equation.

Hi again,

Ok, haven’t tried local Zone. Only BDP-2 and BDA-3 as endpoints. I will do these tests tomorrow. Thanks for your help.

Best regards
Lars

Hi again,
Sorry for kept you waiting but I have been totally knocked by high fever but I feel better now so let’s do some test as you suggest:

1, Works perfect. I also tried this with files on the NAS. Works perfect.
2, back to local file and directly to DAC from mac mini via USB. Works perfect. Then playing from NAS, also perfect.
3. Now add BDP-2 as endpoint (between mini mac and DAC). Drop outs starts again. Doesen’t matter if I am playing from local disc or NAS.
4, Works with DAC, BDA-3 as endpoint. Dropouts with BDP-2 as end point.

Skipping the Netgear extender and connect all with a HP ethernet switch ( a professionell unit that I borrowed from IT dpt at work) and then connect directly to the main router via ethernet cable did not change anything.

Have now played without BDP-2 and instead using the BDA-3 (DAC) as endpoint with different files and with no drop outs for 3 hours but when I tried to set output device (the DAC) in exclusive mode for highest sound quality the drop outs came back but not so often as before.

But if I am not using Roon and instead use my BDP-2 as the main media player (using the Bryston MPD software) everything works perfect but using the BDP-2 as an endpoint to Roon causes the drop outs. The BDP-2 is having the latest firmware and are the latest version with the new sound card.

I hope all this information is informative? And thanks for your support! My friends at one of the biggest high end forum in Sweden (Euphonia audioforum) recommend Roon and they also said that you have a fantastic support and customer service and that seams to be correct! When the drop out occurs and Roon jump to next track a short message come up saying that the file is loading slow!

Do you have idea why BDP-2 (which is Roon ready) are causing this drop outs.?

I will play and test more in the weekend.

Best regards
Lars Johansson

Well, I’m glad I could help narrow it down to the Bryston BDP-2 in the playback chain. Sadly, I don’t have any direct experience with the Bryston, but, it could be that the Roon section of the firmware on the BDP-2 is having issues with the RAAT protocol. Might try reloading the latest firmware to see if that clears the issue.

Maybe, @mike might be able to give more ideas.

Tested and played a lot this weekend. Works well with the DAC as endpoint as I mentioned earlier but when I play a high res music file drop outs start again…
Works well with CD quality (16 bit) but every time a play a 24 bit (96-192khz) it starts to stop playing just after a few seconds and then jump to next file.

I didn’t test high res files in earlier tests.

I don’t have the extender in use any longer. Just ethernet cable direct from the router and a professionell HP ethernet switch. If I use exclusive mode and/or convert PCM to DSD the problem get worse. The dropout also occurs playing a local file with local zone.

Still JRiver work well and also playing from the BDP-2, just problem with Roon.
I have no other program installed and running, except chrome, on the Mac mini. I just use it for playing music.

I soon give up but I will test one more thing later this week. I also have an imac at home. Will test that one instead of the Mac mini.

BR
Lars Johansson