DSD 512 Oppo 205 Mac Ultrarendu

Hello @Douglasmaurer,

There is a known issue with the Oppo UDP-205 USB chipset that can cause a loud static white noise to be outputted from the device when changing audio formats. Oppo is aware of the issue and have told us they are investigating. You will not be able to stream DSD512 to the device without native DSD support enabled, the device is limited to DSD256 via DoP.

-John

OK thanks I appreciate that information john. Seems like I am stuck at DSD 256 as when ever I try out 512 I am getting the wild White Noise output. I have tried using the Roon DSP for HQ player zone set at DSD 512 with native DSD checked and DOP in HQ player OFF and I still get white noise. I have also tried it with the Roon DSP disabled for hqplayer zone and just use the HQ player interface set for 44x512 and still get white noise. In those situations I do see the HQ player interface showing output at 22k/DSD 512 but still only get noise. When I set everything back to 256 in Roon and/or HQ player I have no problems. 256 sounds great but I was hoping to try out the magic of 512.
Thanks
D

I have the same setup.

You can do DSD512 native with the 0112 DAC firmware.
This is no longer possible with the 0118 firmware.
I am beta testing the new firmware (0119), but so far the problem remains.
Perhaps Jesus from Sonore could help us on this.

Kind regards,

Jorge

Didn’t they drop the ability to do DSD512 native at the same time they enabled MQA. I seem to remember them citing it was going to be case of an either or, but, I don’t remember their reason.

iFi did that, but I was not aware of Oppo doing the same. The reason is processing limitation in the XMOS chip they use:

For other readers, thread UDP-205 doesn’t accept “DSD native” from ROCK
is about native DSD no longer works on Linux after updating to new USB firmware.

@Douglasmaurer perhaps you can try downgrading firmware to 0112 to test native DSD512 if you do not care for MQA?

Thanks everybody for the help! I finally had some time tonight to try out different settings and roll back the firmware 0012. Now I am able to upsample to DSD 512 on both Roon and HQ player. Unfortunately you lose the Oppo’s ability to decode and render MQA, but at least Roon still can do the first unfold. Hopefully Oppo will be able to introduce an updated firmware that will allow both 512 upsampling and full MQA capabilities!
Doug

Yep…

I do not understand why the beta firmware (0119) did not correct this limitation…

Regards,

As you might have seen, Roon 1.6 seems to have addressed some of the problems we were facing with the Oppo 205.

I will check later.

That is good to hear! I may try to update the DAC firmware again w/0119 later this week or weekend if folks report that things are better!
thanks,
D

It didn´t… :frowning:

Bummer!! Appreciate u checking,
D

Man I hope they are working on this. Seems like a firmware upgrade shouldn’t be a retro grade.

I tried a while ago to return to 112 but could only roll back to 115.

Ask them to send you the 0112 firmware.

They are quite helpfull.

I have the 112 firmware but I couldn’t get the installer to work . Maybe I’ll try again.

Dear George,

Yes, please try again.

I did not experience any problem.

Kind regards,

Jorge

Hi guys,

Any more news? I just contacted again Oppo to see if we can expect a fix by anytime soon.
It’s been one year since the 0119 was unofficial released.
Tks,

Jorge

Hi Jorge,
did you get a reply from Oppo about an upcoming fix or 0119 final?
I guess they have stopped support for 205 completely…
Tks
Stefan

Yes, it is confirmed…
Do not expect anything new!
Kind regards,

Jorge

Bummer! Thanks for confirming!

1 Like