DSD ISO Support

From what I understand Roon uses Allmusic metadata. This was in ref to a Tidla issue I had…one thing for sure is that they use Allmusic Artist write-ups.

At the moment I’m more but happy I only tested it out with a 1 year license. If I should describe roon at the very moment I’d call it the software one would have expected being shipped by Tidal and Quboz to make use of their streaming offers. Means if ever these must license roon not me in case of trying to make me one of their customers since they should then ship a roon license with their subscriptions.

I expected what roon was known for … to make more from a collection. I did read that in a way thinking they ment the collections of their customers, while by now I realised they ment the collections owned by Tidal & Quboz, which I’m not interesting in. My fault …

I’d suggest roon should update their www pages explaining where the program is quite good and that’s definatly the integration with streaming services. This more or less became it’s cental sense of being, since for local collections there’s others doing the job more accurate.

Here’s the thing - Qobuz/Tidal have UI’s. Roon, again, if I’m not mistaken, takes your collection and integrates it within which, lets be honest, doesn’t do all of the time.

Because anybody that seriously want’s to play ISOs, and extract audio from a blu-ray is a computer scientist, not a music lover. Roon’s target market was replacing the vinyl experience, not creating something so ridiculously over bloated and over-complicated that it takes a Master’s degree in computer science to bob your head to Rock 'n Roll.

My perfect product does as little to distract from the enjoyment of music as humanly possible.

2 Likes

You’re agreeing with my original point. I want to point Roon to my library and make music go.

I don’t know any hardware endpoint that handles an ISO image when Roon would send it native over RAAT (if possible anyways, forgetting about DSP, etc in Roon). I think Roon has to ‘unpack’ the ISO on-the-fly before it can be played.

That unpacking is pretty CPU intensive, is my experience. At least it is when I unpack it to DSD with eg ISO 2 DSD. Sure, you can go to FLACs afterwards with DSD 2 FLAC, but Roon handles DSD file pretty well. Plus it converts, if needed, the DSD on-the-fly to the required format by the endpoint.

The demand on the systems that will support .iso files will be pretty high, I estimate. It won’t be your basic NAS or Rock NUC anymore. But that may be just a point of money spend.

I use my Gigabit as my core and endpoint.

How does JRiver do this so well, unpacking the ISO files?

Not going to happen (ISO that is).

why? did you get hired on?

John has been reading the forum where roon have often stated ISOs aren’t on the current horizon
This thread as a random example.

Got it. Well - I think it would be wise to add the functionality. Even if you could use it as a add-on extension. Possible?

So - I have begun to start to transfer using ISO2DSD - it is a pain. Again, why do I have to do this? This is why I pay you. Add the function, stop making excuses why you can’t, and figure out a way that you can. If others can implement for 50 dollars yearly. You should for 200 dollars yearly. Period. Step up to the plate Roon.

No, don’t do his feature. Do mine it’s much more important, hey!!!

1 Like

My thread! Overruled. :v:

1 Like

I had to convert lots of SACDs, when I started that Roon adventure in 2015.
ISO2DSD is a pain to use.
I bought Xrecode 3 for that job and never looked back. It does any conversion job you can think of.

Does it batch convert? Also does it convert to PCM?

yes, it does all of that.

Check, if they have a demo available and see if it fits your needs.

1 Like

If you’re on macOS, TraX is way more user-friendly (and capable) than ISO2DSD.

PC - but thanks for the suggestion.