DSD ISO Support

@danny stated now already some years ago, that it is ok to remind the Roon team from time to time on that specific feature request. It is not decided yet if it gets implemented or not. I think as long as some people show interest in SACD Iso support, a reminder is a valid cause.

3 Likes

I still expect it. Why not? They did not say it will never happen. It is just not high priority.

+1 for dsd iso

1 Like

You didnā€™t read what danny saidā€¦he didnā€™t say it would happen, either.

Thatā€™s what I do, too, but for stereo and multichannel, it requires three times as much effort and three times as many things to store and backup. In bytes, the difference is roughly fourfold, so ISO support would have significant hardware implications for some users. It could also produce a better way of organizing multiple mixes of the same album than is now possible.

Speaking only for myself, however, a hasty implementation might be no improvement at all, since if I were not able to edit metadata at the track level, for instance, I would keep creating DSF files as I do now. Thatā€™s why I appreciate the developersā€™ consideration of the challenges involved, as @danny described back in 2015.

1 Like

Itā€™s quite possible that being able to play SACDs in Roon might violate Sony patents, as it would enable recording of the SACD is a DSD format. And Roon would be unwise to get in a lawsuit with Sony.

Iā€™d have thought Sonore might have had a lawsuit slapped on them if this was a problem. Roon are not the ones ripping the SACD, the key software allowing SACDs to be ripped to ISO is all provided anonymously.

1 Like

ISOā€™s are undeniably rips of SACDā€™s and Sony have always been precious about the circumstances of SACD playback.

If there exist legal issues with iso playback other software developers would have stopped the implementation of that feature many years ago

2 Likes

If they had any resources and were worth chasing. Most of the alternatives are pretty much lone traders. Roon is very different. A much bigger operation with assets and a market leading position.

NB: Playing ISOs would also be very useful for ripped DVD-A and Pure Audio BluRay discsā€¦

Hi Dirk,
How did you rip you SACDā€™s? I saw one method using PS3,but looks quite complicated, hoping to find something more easy to use
thx Tom

I use an OPPO 105. Easy to use and reliable.
You find all necessary information in the Audiophile Style forum.

Checkout

Well, in any case, you will need an SACD-player that ā€˜supportsā€™ ripping.

For a complete list of players, I refer to the following page in an SACD ripping tread on computeraudiophile:
List of SACD players

In this tread you can find all the information how to actually do it, but it does look at bit overwhelming.
Although it is not that difficicult if you knwo your way with computers in general.

I did trip my SACDā€™s almost 2 years ago., I do not buy SACDā€™s since then (I do buy DSD downloads)
I thought I had made a summarry of the process but unfortunately I cannot find it back. So I am afraid I am not able to help out.

At Computeraudiophile, same forum, there are a small number of people (mostly in the US) that offer SACD ripping services.

Dirk

Thanks to all for the support!

itā€™s a major failure on Roon that we cannot read .iso files from SACDā€¦ I really donā€™t get this insistence and keep out such a major function (one that you can get even in free programs like Foobar). At least we should be able to use a 3rd part software to be able to read .iso sacs on Roon.

Itā€™s ā€œthreadā€ā€¦

This is a much better source of information. Ripping SACDs is easy!!

Itā€™s not a major failure. It is an annoyance to a small subset of Roon users.

2 Likes

As someone on their 14 day trial, I will simply say that Iā€™m extremely surprised and disappointed this isnā€™t supported.

2 Likes

Same here. Dissapointed since 2015.
Looks like that ā€œsmall subsetā€ is quite piā€¦ off.

1 Like