DSD ISO Support

Maybe an idea for roon in a broader sense.

Why not list all feature requests and let the users vote on them. The more votes the more interest there is for the specific request.

As benefit for roon it will give them a better sense what users are looking for and where to allocate resources.

For the community the benefit will be a clear overview and voting makes it a bit more factual and neutral.

The current system has lost me already. I spent quite some time here, but am lost to what is considered, what only was mentioned, what request was rejected, etc…

1 Like

Not all Roon users use these forums. If I had to guess, I would say it is a really small percentage of Roon users who check the forums more than once a week. Opening a vote to forum users isn’t reaching out to Roon users. I’m sure the guys at Roon have a well planned out road map, not sure why people keep on insisting they share everything.

Is ISO DSD support planned for next versions ?
Jriver does a perfect job here.
It would be fun to have that available on Roon too.

3 Likes

Are you going to add support for playback of SACD ISO files ? And support for DST ?

1 Like

Good to see this request back into the forum! Please, yes for SACD and DVD-Audio .ISO playback.

1 Like

As I stated prior, [iso2dsd] (http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=129913.0) works great.

2 Likes

Agreed, converted a few yesterday, takes less than 20 secs to create a set of DFF tracks per ISO.

20 seconds? I am guessing that they were stereo. My MCH files take much longer and I have thousands.

Yep, stereo.

+1 for ISO support.

Coming from J River I’m really missing this feature.
Extracting the DSF Files doubles the needed storage (because I keep the ISOs for all other apps like Audirvana and JRiver).

1 Like

Why would you be using 3 audio players. You have serious, very serious and uber high-end listening rooms each requiring a different player?

I think you didn’t get the point. I only want to use one player (per OS).

My point is, that the functionality to play DSD out of SACD iso images is thomethig I used for years.
Now I swtched to roon (with 2 lifetime licenses) and I’m missing this capability.
Reading this thread lets me recognice, that I am not alone with this wish.

For this reason I voted for this feature request, as a member of this community and a customer of roon labs.

3 Likes

I got the point, but I don’t get why different players for different OS’, Roon is for the most part OS agnostic so you could play DFF or DSF files regardless of whether you’re running Windows, Linux or OSX. Does playing ISO files result in better sound? Should support also be added for Rebook and DVD-Audio ISO files or just DSD?

For Windows I’m using HQPlayer as the music renderer for SQ reasons.
For Mac OS I really like the SQ of Audirvana+, but I might switch to HQPlayer, too.

I don’t understand what you are arguing for?
In this thread people tell roon labs, that they are missing this feature (for SACD isos).
So this can be understood as a featrue request.
Other formats are not mentioned.

I have approx. 100 SACD isos which I liked to hear unchanged and gapless.
I also dislike the idea to convert them to DSF or DFF. Each coversation means a change to the original source for me.

Support for SACD isos is exactly what I’d like roon (core) to support. Nothing more and nothing less.

4 Likes

Ok, now it’s clear, you believe that splitting the tracks will result in some form or degradation, hence your reluctance to split the files. Doubling up on storage is a secondary issue, albeit articulated as your primary concern. FWIW it doesn’t change the audio stream one iota and playback remains gapless. But hey, whatever… +1 for ISO support, and please add Redbook, DVD-A and BR support whilst you’re at it guys.

Ok, guys time to draw a line under this … and to requote Danny once more.

2 Likes

@evand: I also use three players SIMPLY because Roon doesn’t allow me to play .iso and .cue files (in addition to .ape). I know that the latter are easy to convert to flac or wav, but I have thousands of albums in these formats. If JRiver, Audirvana can do this, why can’t Roon? I HAVE to use three players: Audirvana for Qobuz support, JRiver for sound quality (it’s my favourite player), and Roon - the king of the hill, for everything else (including Tidal).

Those are your choices, however, don’t necessarily warrant the dev team throwing a lot of effort behind supporting corner cases. Monkey’s Audio is all but defunct (have you ever found a single album for sale in APE format), as are whole album FLAC files with embedded cuesheet (bought one of these at an online store in the last 10 years)? The question is more one of why should Roon support legacy formats just because other players do? Do either of them provide the same UI and UX…if Roon does, why can’t they?

I think the real reason people request ISO and embedded cue support is because of the sanctity with which they regard the files…unfettered virgin media just as it once was on the disc it was ripped from, convinced that once removed from the holy cocoon it will no longer be the same, sound the same or heaven forbid…make them feel the same. Such reasons do not warrant effort being expended whilst there are many more pressing priorities for the majority of users. Splitting ISO and whole album FLAC/ APE files into discrete tracks and transcoding APE files to FLAC whilst retaining metadata is trivial.

2 Likes

I think metadata are the real issue. How can Roon determine the correct album faced with a single ISO?

So long as Roon can play DSF files gapless I can settle for that and keep ISOs separate for the future.

I fully support the inclusion of SACD ISO support. The main reason is simplification of processing.
After ripping an SACD with a PS3, roon could identify the ISO and add the metadata. In fact the metadata for many SACD editions is already in roon.
Additionally, the ISO contains both the stereo and multichannel tracks and the ISO is significantly smaller than the sum of the sizes of the individual DSF files.

3 Likes