DSD native playback in RoPieee

I think that RoPieee itself can do Native DSD but in the linux kernel the “driver” for the specific dac is missing therefore RoPieee convert to DoP the file and the rate is the half of the native one.
About macOS it is well known that it can handle DoP only

1 Like

I hope @spockfish takes a look and provides assistance.

Well,

tbh I find that increasingly ‘difficult’: I’ve got a pretty good ‘hunch’ that I can create the patch.
But… I feel increasingly reluctant to do that work where as this should have been done by the manufacturer of the device.

A&K makes more money then I do: remember that I do this for free. So why should I fix this in my own spare time?

Please dont get me wrong. I am not ansking you to fix anything that is not falling under your purview. I just did not understand what the problem is (Is it in Roon, DAC, my setup or Pi) and I just wanted some input from you as to what the problem might be. Im fairly new to the whole world of audio and not even a month since im using roon. Still learning a lot each day,

The problem is as follows:

On Windows there are device specific drivers. On Linux (and Mac for that matter) there’s something called the ‘UAC’ standard. Which means that your DAC will work ‘out of the box’ on Linux systems. And, as on Windows you need a specific driver, that is taken care of by the manufacturer.

However, the UAC standard does not take care of (native) DSD. That means that in many cases that requires some work on the Linux kernel. Most manufacturers don’t do that because it’s extra work, they don’t have the knowledge, and quite often still think that the Linux market is too small to take care of.

So yeah, I’ve added a lot of patches to the Linux kernel for quite a few DAC’s out there. But it sometimes leaves me a little bit frustrated by how many hardware vendors act. Or more precisely: don’t act :wink:

4 Likes

Well put together. Makes sense. Thanks a lot for your input. Much appreciated. I will try and get in touch with A&K and see if it takes me anywhere. Though I’m pretty sure it’ll be just a waste of time. :smile: .

Well, why not ask @spockfish if he would be willing to fix this on a “paid for” basis?? :wink:

Hi @Akshay_Shetty ,

I’ve created a patch (no guarantees whatsoever as I don’t have the device), but if you’re willing to try it out I can prepare a release for you.

Thanks

1 Like

I Would like to try it please. Thank you for the time and effort. :grinning:

There’s a beta available (2023.11) with a patched kernel.
You need to switch the update channel to ‘beta’ and follow the instructions.

It can take several hours before the update pops up.

Thanks

1 Like

Hey sorry for the delay in response. So just opened the ropieee settings and changed update channel to Beta. My ropieee is set to manual update currently. Should I set it to auto? If not then what is the procedure to update it manually?

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

If you followed the instructions, the unit has rebooted. Now you just need to wait out and after a few hours a update notification will show up.

1 Like

Hi @Akshay_Shetty ,

Any news on this?

I’m so sorry for the delay in response. Had to go out of town all of a sudden. Just got back a couple of hours back.

The update worked like a charm. Got an option to select native and DSD plays at 256 unaltered now. Thank you very much for your time and effort once again. Wouldn’t have been possible without your help! :smiley:

1 Like

Ok thanks!

And I’ll add the DAC to the ‘native DSD capable DAC list’.

1 Like