DSD playback and DAC

@ support Hello I have a DAC that supports 24/192 if I download DSD files. Would Roon be able to play it back.

Hey @Derrick_Garcia – what DAC is it?

If your DAC doesn’t play DSD you should be fine, but conversion will happen during playback – you’ll just need to choose the Convert to PCM option in Roon. More information here.

@supoort. Hi Mike I did all the requirements but still doesn’t play through my DAC. Any suggestions? Running Mac mini with Sierra

I’m using Arcam Irdac

Hi Derrick,

I use a RPi with IQAudio DAC which also supports 24/192.

When I play a DSD128 track, I get the following conversion.

Here are the settings for my DAC. They’re found in Settings >Audio and clicking the gears next to the DAC and click settings. Click the Playback tab and check the DSD Playback Strategy.

It should say Convert to PCM.

When playing a DSD track, click the dot to the right of the song on the bottom to display the Signal Path. What does it show?

Are you not getting any sound?

Cheers, Greg

This is what I have.

I have no sound. But when I play Tidal my DAC recognizes it.

@support. Having problems playing DSD64 files.

. Please help.

Based on the error message you’re getting I’d suspect that there’s a performance bottleneck somewhere in your setup.

Can you detail your setup as described here?

I’m using Mac mini with Sierra and Arcam Irdac. I have Roon exclusive checked. DSD playback is set to convert to pcm. When I’m playing Tidal my DAC recognizes it. But playsing DSD64 DAC is not recognizing it.

Is your music on local storage to the mac or are you accessing files over the network?
Is the mac mini your roon core or is that a different machine on the network?
What’s the config of the mini (version, memory, cpu, etc)?
Can you play any other types of files (16/44 PCM, 24/96PCM, etc)?
Do you have the class I/II switch on the back of your DAC set to the II position?
Have you tried turning off integer mode and exclusive mode?

Music is stored on HD of Mac mini. It’s a Mac mini 2011 with SSD HD and 8g of ram. I can play 16/44 and 24/192. Mac mini is my Roon core. Switch in on class II on DAC. Have played with integer mode and exclusive. Nothing happens. It plays Tidal no problem.

Hi @Derrick_Garcia k_Garcia ---- Thank you for the report and my apologies for the slow response here. `I would like to gather some logs from you and will be contacting you via PM momentarily with instructions.

Lastly, I did some research on the Arcam irDAC and seems as though that device does not support 176khz. May I kindly ask you to please try setting your “max sample rate” to 96khz and see if there is a change in behavior.

-Eric