DSD128 and 384kHz on Lumin D2

No, the external Lumin LPS cannot be modified to change the voltage. If necessary, you may purchase another power supply from us.

The internal power supply in D2 and U1 MINI is 100–240V AC auto-ranging.

2 Likes

We recommend MinimServer for non-Roon users. The fact that we are discussing this in Roon forum should make this irrelevant though. If necessary, USB storage may be also be used if MinimServer or another UPnP server is not available.

1 Like

Ok, thanks. As for this being a Roon forum, it’s always handy to have an easy fallback…one of the attractions of Bluesound for me was that you still end up with a usable system with existing kit, even if Roon had problems for whatever reason. That said, I haven’t needed to use BlueOS in the past year.

“We recommend MinimServer for non-Roon users.” I always have assumed that MinimServer was needed to setup Lumin players, and once set, Roon (server & control point) can be used for music playback. Is my understanding correct? Are there other ways to setup a Lumin Player without MinimServer or the Lumin L1 server? (MinimServer setup is so intimidating and the L1 duplicates my SonicTransport I5 server with Roon Core.)

No need for MinimServer - the players are complete Roon Ready endpoints - connect them with a network cable and they appear in Roon.

No, neither the MinimServer nor L1 is necessary to setup a Lumin player. The only thing you need is the free Lumin app, preferably on an iOS device, for firmware upgrade and setting changes.

Great news! Thank you Dhusky and Peter. I can see a D2 or U1 mini in my system sometime soon!

Excellent, have fun shopping :grinning: I’ve been very pleased with my D2 so far.

If you have not changed your DAC since your post in June, I’d recommend getting the D2 instead of U1 MINI. If you’re planning to replace the amp as well, please get one with balanced input.

1 Like

Hi Peter (@wklie) - I just played my first MQA album unfolded to 352.8 kHz on the D2 (as shown on the display and in Roon). OOI how does this work when the DAC chip tops out at 192KHz? Presumably it gets unfolded and then downsampled? Thanks!

The MQA sample rate that you see refers to the sample rate of the master for encoding the MQA album, not necessarily the sample rate of the playback, which depends on individual DAC hardware capabilities. MQA playback occurs in two steps - MQA Core decoding to 88.2 or 96kHz (this can occur inside a Lumin or offloaded to Roon Core by user setting). Then MQA rendering at a higher sample rate. No downsample will occur. MQA rendering is always done in a way that MQA Ltd. determined to be the best possible for a particular hardware based (including DAC-side corrections) on MQA criteria.

1 Like

Aah, thanks for clarifying, I hadn’t appreciated that - it’s a bit confusing as a display but, now you mention it I do recall this being discussed before and I guess, given the DAC-side variations, this makes sense.

Hi Peter, on my D2 I like DSD so have set the Lumin APP to upsample to DSD. Love it. :heart: . When i use ROON I have set ROON DSP to covert to DSD 64 as suggested on these pages .

My question is…When using ROON like this should I set resampling in the Lumin App to off ? My guess is is doesn’t matter…but thank you in advance for your advice :blush:

1 Like

When using Roon, please set Lumin re-sampling to off in Lumin app.

2 Likes

Thank You very much

Wouldn’t it make more sense to get s DAC that supports higher DSD rates and upsample to that through HQ player or roon?

My Cambridge CXN v2 has a dual Wolfson DAC as well that accepts DSD64 but Internally it concerts it to PCM anyways.

Is this not the case with the lumin?

Very different.

1 Like

Hi Peter and other users. I couldn’t say why , or describe the difference but after a few months I switched off UPSAMPLING to DSD in ROON and let my D2 do it ( and my NT 505 ) when I am using it. Just prefer the sound that way. Seems to me if the DAC is handling MQA …let it handle DSD on ordinary tracks .My computer is a nice modern hi spec i7, Solid State Drive…"silent PC ". But there you go.

1 Like

I love the DSD128 sound on the Lumin… will the new Nucleus One support DSD128 with the Lumin D2?

If you mean DSD upsampling, in Roon settings enable Parallelize Sigma Delta Modulator regardless of the CPU it has.

1 Like