DSP Up-Sampling features in Roon 1.3

Wow DSD 1024. To support that would require very high jitter clocks. What most people don’t realize is the higher you go up in frequency, the higher the phase noise of the clocks. It’s not just a simple matter of higher is better. It doesn’t take more expense or knowledge to support DSD 1024. DAC manufacturers just don’t do it because they know the compromises involved. So if you see something with that high of support, keep in mind they only did it for marketing purposes, not for better sound. For example the DIYINHK USB interface that supports DSD 1024, has clocks with over 15x the jitter than the version that only supports 256. The designer knows it, and he knows the one that maxes out at 256 sounds much better. But because of the misconception among audiophiles that “higher numbers are better” he sells 10 of the DSD 1024 boards to every 1 of the 256 boards. He also charges $30 more for the 1024 board, even though his cost to build is identical. Something to keep in mind.

If any DIY’er’s out there don’t believe me, buy both of the boards and compare head to head upsampling to DSD 256. The 256 board will smoke the 1024 board just because of the fact the clocks are light years better. Don’t ask me how I know :slight_smile:

4 Likes