Dutch NPO Radio 2 does play on my Weiss DAC501, not on Sonos Arc

Hi,

Radio 2 simply does not (and never did) play to my Sonos Arc, at none of the bitrates, it just stays at 0:00 forever. It does play correctly through my Weiss DAC501. Other stations also seem to play fine to Sonos. Any idea?

What about other BBC stations?

Same problem, some stations work, others not. Often an error “Roon lost control of the audio device” when using Sonos Arc. When playing music from my own library or Qobuz, Sonos works fine, although I prefer to use my Weiss DAC then as you might understand :slight_smile:

Hmm. NPO Radio 2 plays fine here together with my Loxjie D30 DAC, Bluesound Node X and Cambridge Audio CXNv2. I’m Dutch btw.

AAC versus MP3 ???

Or mp3/aac vs flac

Doesn’t matter. All 4 listed streams are playing without problems.

My issue seems related to all NPO Radio 1/2/3/4/5 streams, both MP3 and AAC. None of these work on my Sonos Arc.
Other streams like Classic NL, Radio 538 or Sky Radio work fine on all streams.

Hi @Gerard_Burgstede,

Do you ever encounter the aforementioned error, “Roon lost control of the audio device,” when you are playing non-radio content straight from your Queue or Roon library?

How are you connecting to the Sonos Zone (ethernet/WiFi/Airpaly/HDMI, etc.)? Is this Arc bar hardwired via ethernet?

Hi Connor,

Thanks for getting back!

In Roon, all non-radio content (both local and Qobuz) plays flawlessly for years via Sonos Arc and Weiss DAC501. Both are connected hard-wire ethernet via an audio-grade English Electric switch with pretty good AudioQuest cables.

Radio plays fine via the Sonos app, but not via Roon. It never worked for the Dutch NPO Radio. Some other dutch and foreign stations work, but many are not, on none of the available bitrates.
When start playing, time stays at 0:00, and after a while the ‘lost control’ error.
Sonos runs on latest firmware version.

I also contacted Sonos Help Desk, but they could not help me yet, the guy that handled my call did not even know what Roon is…

Regards,
Gerard

Hi @Gerard_Burgstede,

How many other Sonos devices are in this setup, and how are they connected?

Are any of them grouped outside of Roon within the Sonos app?

Are any of them grouped as Zones within Roon?

We need to ascertain the behavior of SonosNET in this instance, as well as what’s going on with UPnP control. Is it possible to bypass

Where is your RoonServer machine in this topology? For troubleshooting, we’ll need to remove as many network variables as are physically possible to remove within your environment. This means, ideally, hardwiring both the RoonServer machine and the Sonos Arc bar to the main router in your setup. Additional network hardware can exponentially increase the duration of troubleshooting by adding multiple settings GUIs that require time to illuminate and communicate here.

The goal here is to deduce whether networking issues are causing the Sonos to drop off, or whether an incorrect sample rate or file type from the radio stream is kicking an error and terminating the connection.

The most helpful piece of information at this point would be to know if files within Roon that are not from internet radio - just tracks from your local storage, Qobuz, or Tidal, for instance - also cause the same issue with the Arc bar.

Thank you!