Dynamic Range Webcast 2020

You may find this interesting as it discusses loudness normalisation in streaming, specifically Tidal doing it right.

Wow, it’s long. Any mention of Qobuz making improvements? I agree Tidal does it right and Qobuz is slowly improving but still lacks album leveling, only track, though track is now much closer to local file and Tidal in use.

Thanks for posting, I’ve listened to it in it’s entirety. I’ve been a big fan of Roon’s R128 implementation since it arrived. Those that still believe it makes the music ‘less full’ haven’t gain matched and are missing out by not enabling it.

I run -22 LUFS.

1 Like

A quick and dirty test. I got the dynamic range of Spotify Premium of Track #01 of POLARITY by Hoff Ensemble And Track #04 of MAGNIFICAT, sampled in AIFF at 16/48kHz

I have the DXD versions of both, free here: http://www.2l.no/hires/

Dynamic range on Spotify is basically the same as the DXD… Even lossy streaming services like Spotify are quite capable of serving high dynamic range content.

Dynamic range complaints are probably best directed to the labels and/or others involved in making the music content…

Spotify versions

DXD/PCM353kHz versions: