El Rincón - Listening to music from las Americas

RoonShareImage-637776832548609500

I first heard Conjunto Bernal in the 1996 movie Lonestar. I had to hit a couple the music stores before I found the CD. I especially enjoy the Mexican style of polkas.

RoonShareImage-637777486215333870

La Española Más Mexicana
I was able to see her live in Los Angeles a long time ago.

2 Likes

La Mexicana más Cubana… I have many old vinyl albums by Toña La Negra, I think mostly on RCA México… Like Natalia Lafourcade today, she was born in Veracruz and made great impact in most of Latinamerica. Love her old recordings!

I posted first a Tidal title By Peerless, but I find it badly mastered. This Camden selection sounds better. But of course, this old music sound its best on the old vinyl issues…

One song I always feel especially powerful is Angelitos Negros, based on a poem by the Venezuelan poet and politician Andrés Eloy Blanco. The music to this tune was composed by the Mexican singer and actor Manuel Álvarez ‘Maciste’. On her 1969 debut album ‘First Take’, Roberta Flack included a cover of this song, singing in Spanish…

4 Likes

Thanks, and now listening. She has quite a few albums on Qobuz so I have some new/old music for the weekend

2 Likes

1 Like

3 Likes

I really enjoy Concha

That is my favorite album from Martirio

1 Like

1 Like

RoonShareImage-637779191215871453

Really good recommendations!

I liked Andreas_Philipp1’s suggestions. Those Tango sound fantastic. High quality recordings.

The Bebo and Cigala Lagrimas Negras it’s one of my favorite since their release almost 20 years ago. I grew up listening Mecano, Mana, Joan Manuel Serrat,etc. So I liked Jose suggestions!

Thanks guys

1 Like

Excellent stuff … and great Roon feature to make PDFs/booklets as nice as this one accessible per one click.

1 Like

Resucitemos este hilo con un tremendo álbum…

3 Likes

great, thanks for that recommendation!

Playing here:

3 Likes

It’s good!

2 Likes

Como siempre, la selección con una mano de oro… Gracias

1 Like

It’s good (of course)!

This might be a good place to ask for more recommendations… does someone in our community have recommendations for recordings with latin american music played on acoustic guitar, music from composers like Agustin Barrios Mangoré or Heitor Villa-Lobos?

Probably a good starting point for this musical voyage is this album:

There is certainly more … what are your favourites? But I’m not only interested in classical guitar music per se, it can also be closer to Folklore, I also absolutely enjoy the guitar pieces on the wonderful soundtrack for “The Long Goodbye” by John Williams (not the guitarist, the composer), such as “Marlowe in Mexico” or “Guitar Nostalgia”.