Embarking on my Roon journey, any server PC spec minimum requirements?

Hello! I’m about to embark on my Roon journey. I’ve built a substantial digital music collection over the years and had stopped using iTunes some time ago.

I’m looking to build my own server and touchscreen combo, so basically a 22" PCAP panel PC. What kind of PC specs are people using for their own servers? is i5 OK with 4GB RAM if I go down the Ubuntu route? Or are there any min hardware specs if I decide to go Windows?

My idea is to mount the touchscreen on a wall at home, and hide away the amp etc.

Assuming then if I build my server on here that I can also download the PC app and navigate through my library on screen?

Thanks for any advice any help you can offer here!

Some rough guidelines are here:

1 Like

Should work fine.

1 Like

How many albums
Do you intend to use DSP

Etc

4gb RAM is a bit light for anything

it’s about 160GB at the moment so I’m going to look at i7 PC with 8GM ram and 1TB SSD. I think 22" is too big so will look to prove the concept on 16" touch display with the PC built in. I don’t have much experience with Linux but this looks to be best for performance and I am told it should be easy enough. Thanks for your help.

I don’t think a wall mounted control is the way to go. There is too much to do and see with Roon to stand there.

Hi Jim, thanks for the feedback. I assume that then you can also connect your phone and ipad to your core? This is just a means of connecting a decent size screen to your server which I can then then have mounted in a ‘party’ space??

Yes, that’s correct. You can connect as many phones, tablets, and computers as you would like. The wall mount will look very cool.

You can’t run the Roon gui on Linux only the server component unless your used to using Wine (windows emulator). So if this is to be a server and controller then don’t go Linux.

1 Like

Hi there, this is a fantastic thought. I won’t be able to go Linux in that case…thanks for the heads up.

I would suggest a new Mac Mini over windows much better spec and less intrusive. Windows updates have a habit of changing firewall rules etc that can interfere with Roon.

1 Like