Embarrassing Search Capability

I can try a bit later, but i haven’t had any issues up until the last few days. Not even when 1.6 was fresh off the presses!

Just tried a few searches from my old trustworthy HP Elitebook 8460p
marc bolan ~ 18 sec
led zeppelin ~16 sec
marc bolan ~ 3 sec (…It remembers!..)
(restarted Roon Client)
led zeppelin ~ 4 sec
genesis ~ 12 sec…
gasolin ~ 12 sec

Changed my DNS to 8.8.8.8/1.1.1.1
Restarted Roon client

search for Gasolin automatically engages:
gasolin ~ 5 sec
led zeppelin ~ 9sec
genesis ~ 3
black sabbath ~15 sec…
marc bolan ~2 sec
gasolin ~ 4-5 sec
black sabbath - 2-3sec (… it remembers!)
yes ~ 16 sec
led zeppelin ~ 8sec.
yes ~ 4 sec

Basically, no, i don’t se any change when i use Google/Cloudflare DNS’…
Tried similar searches on my iPad 2018 after this with times between 5 and 20seconds, for the same bands as in the previous list. No consensus, i’m afraid…

Going back to my ISP’s nameservers….

Trying the Apps for Qobuz and Tidal natively on the iPad:
led zeppelin ~ <1sec
marc bolan ~<1sec
genesis ~ <1sec
Tidal populates the results faster than i type, and Qobuz returns them faster than i can evaluate when clicking “search”

See my search results performance in bold. I am on a slow DSL Line 8Mbps. Google DNS. Roon Rock on NUC5i3.
EDIT: I guess you tried to reboot your core after changing DNS?

1 Like

I tried these searches on my system (bear in mind that I have zero albums by these artists in my collection - sorry :slight_smile: )
gasolin 2.5sec
led zeppelin 2.3sec
genesis 1.8
black sabbath 2.4sec…
marc bolan 2.3 sec

Something is different about your setup it seems to me - but I have no idea what…

Edit: I tell a lie - I have one track by Marc Bolan in my library - on the Velvet Goldmine soundtrack album…

1 Like

Thanks for the efforts gent’s! :slight_smile:

@alec_eiffel :blush: No, i did not restart the Core. I didn’t see the need.
I am rebooting it now though, will update.(As it turns out i used Googles DNS as a secondary on my Core installation)

@Geoff_Coupe, how can you not have any albums by Black Sabbath or Genesis? Heathen! :rofl:

In all of these cases i have local albums, to various extent.

@Mikael_Ollars just out of interest what is your core running on hardware wise?

Okey, this calls for an official apology for thread crapping… Very sorry!
I rebooted my Core host, a QNAP NAS*, and now searches are back to normal. For me, that is mostly > 1 second…

However, what could cause the Core to choke on searches like this?

• QNAP TS-470 Pro (Intel Core i5 3470T, 16Gb RAM,3*6Tb WD Red in RAID5 + 250Gb Samsung SSD for Roon DB)

There are those out there that will beg to differ but you are bottom end of minimum spec for cpu. On a larger collection you are not going to be doing yourself any performance favors…just sayin’

Sorry, but you are mistaken. I have excellent response and speed in all aspects. (when search does not choke up)
I also have a NUC7i3 and NUC6i5 running ROCK sometimes and i can for sure say they are not faster.

You are welcome to have a look in the spreadsheet in the first post here:

I’ll take a look…can’t say I’ve seen this thread before.

Edit…nothing on searching speeds or approximate application memory usage at the time of the test or last reboot, or internet speeds which might be intersting too. Roon Version would appear to be a useful entry too…a lot has changed over the year and a bit since you started this.

Will be happy to contribute to this with some less capable test platforms one day when I get some time.

Much appreciated!
I get the impression that folk generally dismiss “lesser” platforms that might perform well above the users expectations, in a real world scenario. Got caught in an argumentation on the exact subject a couple of days ago, here on this fora.

Your suggested measurements would be excellent, but i don’t know of any method of getting these?
Maybe it’s time for the Roon crew to implement a performance test, available from the GUI?

Maybe a Roon embedded system rating like windows had based on what hardware it was installed on. With some performance bars indicating where your system might not perform at its most desirable given your Roon settings…a big ask when there are so many other features and GUI work in the pipeline.

I have a 200,000 track library running normally on nuc7i7bnh with rock or a i7700 windows 10 setup. I’ve run mock i6500 too and even tried on older Mac mini 2011/2014 systems too. And a Synology 1813+ just for fun with no ssd. I do like play and mix things up.

1 Like

Never heard of America? I can’t say rock wouldn’t be the same without them, but give Ventura Highway a listen. Take you right back to 1973.

I have to admit, that I have found search to be a lot slower since 1.6 on my ROCK core and its very variable as to to how long it takes I have rebooted many many times. I use cloudflare DNS already but switching it makes no discernible difference.

Are you suggesting that rebooting the core is good thing or bad

I just did Led Zeppelin , very slow then repeat very quick

If I reboot will it be forgotten and be slow agai

We are currently getting daily power cuts so I’ll be able to test easily :sob:

I agree, this is intermittent and unstable.
Today i have been using my Roon server on and off, but just now i tried a few of the searches i did yesterday:
marc bolan - <1sec
Genesis - 15sec
Led Zeppelin - 15sec
Marc Bolan - 25sec
Just checked the memory and cpu consumption on the Roon Core, but nothing spectacular to see (2-3% CPU usage and around 2.8Gb RAM)

What is causing the search to choke up?

Edit, just tried a few more times and times are back to semi-normal 3-5 sec for them…

Still, id very much like to se a search limiter that only searches my local lib before the search is performed.

this may be mentioned above, but search in roon is surprisingly literal. two examples:

“brandi carlisle” vs “brandi carlile” return very different results. the former is how belinda spells her name, and is a common spelling.

also “mothers finest” vs “mother’s finest” . the added apostrophe gets you to the band, w/o it…results are suboptimal.

My takeaway from Brian’s description of this backend/infrastructure work is that the roon development team has transitioned to a continuous delivery software development model. This frees up enormous amounts of developer time that previously would have been used to babysit manual builds and releases and data-oriented batch tasks and QC/testing and so on due to the heterogeneous compute environments that the various pieces of roon software run in. Once these tasks become (mostly) automated, precious developer time, knowledge, and skill can be refocused on feature development instead. This is independent of where the develoment occurs, for example, on the backend to better support search or on the front end to build a better search UX.

This change in development model emphatically does not enhance revenue in the short term as it involves a lot of costly learning and implementation, but it enables faster product enhancement while simultaneously letting roonlabs be more nimble.

Congratulations guys on making this huge transition transparently, without impacting users with outages or long gaps between releases.

I stumbled onto this thread looking for roon’s advanced search syntax – it doesn’t seem to have one. I’m a bit disappointed that there’s no better search capability than what I see in the app now, but glad this is a priority.

If I can add my 2 cents, please focus on improving basic search first before adding ranking and relevance and other bells and whistles to the search results. The inconsistencies and holes in current search are driving me crazy. And please don’t delay improving local search if there are complexities integrating Tidal/qobuz/whatever with local results. Maybe consider local search as a beta for combined search. :slight_smile:

Thanks,
- Eric

I’m a music collector (aka file hoarder), not a streamer. I have no need for integrating Tidal search results with local results nor do I care about relevance derived from crowdsourced search results, etc.

My search requirements probably don’t require anything that a backend service would provide, but do require all forms of matching and boolean operations across all metadata transparently. I would also like to see brilliant search that can find performances of “Le Sacre du Printemps” when I search for “Rite of Spring”. I hope the metadata that roon incorporates into my local database and the offline fallback code can do all this.

Thanks,
- Eric

FWIW, I haven’t seen any functional improvement in 1.6 when filtering in Album view.

Regarding the new Search, roon returns about 2x to 4x the results when filtering by a single word in Album view compared to the results in the “Album” section of the Search result page when searching by the same word. (Search seems to find delimited words only, while filtering finds occurrences of the word as a substring too.) I’d also expect the Albums search result, after clicking “VIEW ALL”, to scroll side-to-side like the Album view, instead of up/down.

Thanks,
- Eric