Embedded vs Desktop on Linux Ubuntu

Hi, planning the inevitable update of HQP from 4 to 5 and will soon download and try the Desktop HQP.

But is it “safe” to leave the licensed HQP 4 Embedded (hqplayerd) on same PC while trying the update? When uninstalling the HQP 5, desktop or embedded, there is no risk of interence with the existing HQP 4?

In your perspective, are there any rewards with Desktop compared to Embedded? Is there any feedback from the graphic UI in desktop, e.g. when doing changes to settings (config), that actually is informative rather that telling “success” even for those cases where it is not?

How to install HQP Desktop? The Ubuntu Desktop I use is quite informative and the installation of HQPe was really a walk in the park with the installation files given by Jussi also in the Linux Ubuntu Desktop version. I managed with the graphic Ubuntu installation tools. I guess HQP desktop for Linux is just as good? The only thing that I cannot make happen is the NAS connection to HQPe, no matter what Linux tutorial I have used. With Roon it just took me 1 minute to get the NAS connection, when installed the Roon Core headless Linux version. Anyone know if different with HQP Desktop on Linux Desktop?

I currently use a RME DAC, so I put out DSD256, DoP, ASDM7ECv2 and poly-sinc-gauss-xla. Have not heard anything like it, I must admit. Is there any chance there is an additional step forward from this settings in the new HQP 5? Feel free to share, I will test it. I can live without claims that my current choice is not the optimal, I have tried all of them. So any suggestions forward, should start from the -guass-xla and … on, thank you.

Is the HQP Desktop a significantly larger pc load?

Happy to hear as much pro’s and con’s as possible instead of finding out “the hard and difficult way”, trial and many errors

:heartbeat:

Depends on the product.

HQPlayer Desktop v4 and v5 can live side by side. Apart from v4 reverting back to default settings where it doesn’t support possibly selected new values saved by v5.

HQPlayer Embedded will just go upgrade and the old version is replaced by the new one. If you go back to v4, same applies as for Desktop regarding configuration values.

Desktop and Embedded are unrelated, so they don’t interact, but you cannot run both simultaneously.

Not much difference, main difference is that Embedded has UPnP support while Desktop doesn’t.

You download and install the package. It will refer to all external packages it needs and the OS package manager can pull these in. Not much different from Embedded…

Things like NAS connections are OS’ business, not HQPlayer’s. HQPlayer doesn’t even have privileges to perform such things, on purpose.

HQPlayer OS has web interface for making NAS connections (through SMB protocol) though.

Mostly if you’d like to try the new modulators.

No, it shouldn’t be. The graphics will take some amount of load on both CPU and GPU, but nothing major. The server component (HQPlayer Desktop application) is using “old school” light weight interface intended just for configuration purposes.

HQPlayer Client which is the official controller for both Desktop and Embedded is heavier though and heavily depends on OpenGL graphics.

Just use the trial! That’s the best option.

Hi @jussi_laako

I did not see if you can enable GPU in Embedded. It it supported?

Yes, it is currently supported on x64 under Ubuntu, Debian and Fedora builds.

However, I potentially see it going away on Fedora, since Fedora has now removed Xorg and replaced it with Wayland and Nvidia has not been updating their Fedora support.

It is enabled by default on supported platforms.

1 Like

When you mentioned Xorg, does it have UI on embedded, and what is the command if the answer is yes? I just use web UI

No particular GUI on Embedded, which is designed to be solely “headless” daemon. But the whole Nvidia driver stack is also related to Xorg. So it is not as much dependent on what HQPlayer does, but what Fedora vs Nvidia decides to do. Currently combination of Nvidia driver and Wayland is incompatible. IOW, you cannot use Nvidia driver and CUDA if you also have Wayland GUI.

1 Like