Environmental sustainability still completely forgotten

Guys, I really appreciate the effort made with the 1.8 and I think the quality increase is remarkable.
But is it possible that in 2021 the important issue of energy saving and sustainability will be COMPLETELY NEGLECTED? Is it possible that to listen to 1 or 2 hours of music a day one has to keep Roon Server, Roon Bridges and the connected DACs on 24 hours a day?
Whenever I point out problems with waking up from sleep I also find someone who advises me, with superiority, that the devices must be kept on, it is possible that a beautiful release of your software has come out that even WORSE the problems that already existed with 1.7 ?

Your software and hardware is completely unsustainable from an environmental point of view

I hope you will fix this big problem as soon as possible

Regards

1 Like

Please stop listening to music, it is a useless waste of time and bad for the enviroment.
Any way, we are with to many on this big ball in the sky.
Evolution in progress… deal with it.

3 Likes

No problem, you are also free to deny global warming :slight_smile:

Well, of course a valid concern. I am just not sure the 5 or so watt of a rock server consumption stands in any relation to the 100s (or thousands) of watt being consumed by Amps and Active speakers to actually listen to music. Lets keep it in perspective.

3 Likes

I’m confused. What is the problem you are trying to solve? Roon has no way of controlling your DAC, preamp, AMP etc. unless they’re Roon Ready.

If you want to shut down your server, power it down the way you would any PC or use a WOL and remote control app to turn it off and restart it. I don’t see how this is a Roon issue apart from convenience of shutdown from within app.

3 Likes

It is perfectly possible to take responsibility for your kit and power it off as necessary. It can be easily automated with most devices used with Roon as well. My Roon core and endpoints all power off and on automatically on a schedule.

Your amps and so on are another matter, but another matter for you not Roon IMO.

2 Likes

Mocha WOL app for iOS works for me for starting the core. Shutdown is possible with the maintenance website.

From March until October I’m electrically independent. I produce my own electricity. I constantly optimise the electrical consumption. In winter time I have to pull electricity from the grid. I optimise the the house to stop wasting energy.

The consumption of Roon is somewhere in the 3rd position after the comma. My honest answer. I do not care.

1 Like

@Saverio_Speziali This is the funniest post I’ve ever read. You could have linked the release of 1.8 to the political coup in Myanmar and it would have been just as relevant. Your argument is well-intentioned but it is typically a millennial’s basic reflex position and perfectly incongruent with regard to 1.8’s functionality problems.

3 Likes

This is exactly what I do using Logitech Harmony, I am able to turn off all the devices but I am forced to restart the roon server because especially this version 1.8 loses the connection with the bridge when I wake up.

Everything can be done, we can put a timer that turns off all night, ask our wives to do it … but wouldn’t it be more comfortable if Roon Server and Roon Bridge managed sleep and wakeup well?

don’t you think it’s annoying to have to reboot if the PC on which Roon runs goes to sleep?

Regards

Regards

Well, I was going to listen to music today but I decided to save the world instead.

3 Likes

If your losing connection that’s a support issue not a planetary issue.

2 Likes

Plan listening, power up when you need, power down when you’ve done

What is so hard. In fact many issues in Roon are fixed by rebooting the core, so it’s a built in fix.

I see a thunderstorm coming , power down …

1 Like

Do you get a lot of thunderstorms Mike. I seem to remember you mentioning them a few times.
I understand the once fried twice shy part :blush:
I was just wondering how common they are? Atmospheric conditions in SA?

`

If your losing connection that’s a support issue not a planetary issue.

`

:joy::joy::joy::joy: very vice this one !!!

Very, having said that I’ve lost two BT routers here also.

Most days from Nov to Mar , it used to be 4pm almost on the dot but it is changing

I lost most of my hi fi one Dec , Amp, streamers, router, switches when a palm tree in next doors garden got struck and came back down the ADSL line

Good fun to watch

Wow. Thunderstorms are a “do you remember that year we had two” event here.
It’s always instructive to learn the environment that others are living in. I remember a domestic UPS thread and wondered why anyone would need one. An electricity outage being a generational event here, only to learn about brownouts bring a regular event in the USA. Live and hopefully learn.

Eskom our power utility has been starved of cash for years primarily by corruption and stealing along with bum tenders. The power stations are poorly maintained ,the new ones aren’t finished because the money was plundered add to that people add illegal connections stealing power, in a very dangerous way .

Its been better of late but we have “Load Shedding” i.e. planned power outages 4 hrs at a time , in the worst cases every day , but normally alternate days. That looks like a future for another 4 years.

Eskom is owed billions by Municipalities who take money from the consumer but forget to pay the supplier . Eskom have started cutting their power off until they pay .

Life in Africa is interesting . Saving the Planet is rather low priority

Got to shut down the afternoon storm approaches , time for a doze :joy: :joy: :joy:

2 Likes