Equalizer? Wide dynamic range

The absolute max or min volume of course depends on the position of your volume knob. That can be set to real levels in principle.

The dynamic range between lowest and highest volume in a work, however, is typically already compressed somewhat for recordings, compared to the live event. The full real range between a single flute or triangle compared to 100 people in an orchestra at full volume is probably too much for the home and most systems. It definitely was that way for vinyl because that couldnā€™t represent the real range at all. Maybe it changed somewhat with digital but I think some compression is still used, typically.

However, in some cases more compression may be desired for home or in particular car. Thereā€™s a difficult balance here because many hifi people want as little as possible. So, doing this on the fly with DSP would be ideal to satisfy both preferences

4 Likes

Agreed. I definitely want to do something - if possible - which is within Roon and which is temporary, work by work; which I can choose and which does not change the original file.

Thatā€™s what I have been doing. And I follow - and respect your reasoning completely, @HWZ!

Part of the problem is that I live in a relatively noisy environmentā€¦ leaf blowers, air conditioning etc :frowning:

Yes, thanks, @Menzies, I know that version. But I want to be able to have perhaps just a little more control over what Iā€™m listening to at any one time :slight_smile:

Thanks, I have Audacity. But I am beginning to think that I really should stick to and with what was recorded as it was recorded (for a good reason) after all. And use headphones!

2 Likes