Error updating library from 571 to 610 and Cannot backup from 1.7 (571 stable) backup onto 1.7 (610 stable) Roon

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Roon Rock install running 1.7 (610) stable
Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Rock hardwired into Synology rt2600ac, Clients both iPad (wifi) and iMac hardwired to router.
Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Pi 4 running Ropieee, USB out to Nubert x6000 Actives
Description Of Issue

After having my Rock install being dormant for a few months, I tried to resurrect it today. There was an update to Roon, which I installed, and the update told me that the library needed to be updated. On doing so, I was greeted with an error message along the lines of “Unexpected error when updating your library” and a link option to this forum. My library was completely empty.

Instead of posting the error, I decided to try to use my backup from August 15 - Roon 1.7 (571) Stable.
It seems to work and the percentages go up, but when I relaunch the Roon core, I am greeted with a red error box at the bottom of the screen. The box disappears very quickly and I am left with only an empty library again…

Please help as I do not want to recreate my settings and numorous edits in my library!

Regards, Alex

Tagging @support for this.

Good luck.

Thanks, Slim!

It’s a really frustrating situation, having potentially lost all my library settings, import dates and edits… :frowning:

I’m interested to see what the solution is.

IMO, backup is riddled with errors -

So am I :wink: Your own experience doesn’t bode too well for me, though. If my backup is messed up, I’ll be back to square one with my 3.900 cds or so collection. :frowning:
Anyway, fingers crossed :slight_smile:

Edit: I just noticed that Roon seems to remember my schedule for the backups and my Tidal Hifi login, so that part of the backup seems to have been restored. It’s only the somewhat more important bit of all my edits and info about the cds that is missing…

And another update:
I tried to restore my Roon library using a previous backup (from May 9 (537) Stable) and this new one seems to have restored correctly. Turns out I have 4.432 albums, not 3.900 :wink:

Now my questions for those in the know:

1. Shouldn’t any music added to my library since May 9th automatically be added to the library? I know I will lose any manual edits, but is there a reason to make a “force rescan” of my music folders?

2. I will still have lost any manual edits of the Roon library from May 9th onwards. (not that I think I have made any, but still…)

3. And this is the important one: Is the scheduled (or manual) backup not to be trusted??? Or does the final backup made fail? Only the penultimate one works? Is there a known bug? Any best practices for backing up a Roon library, and I mean one that actually is restorable?

Hello @Alex_Laursen, and thanks for the questions.

Yes, your tracks will be automatically added, but you can force a rescan if you aren’t seeing all your tracks. This will speed up the process.

You’re correct, edits made after the backup would need to be made again.

Our apologies for the issue, we aren’t seeing widespread reports of this at the moment. I recommend our backup process, but there are multiple options if you want to set a local backup to a removable USB or to Dropbox.

@nuwriy Thank you for the answers :wink:

As I have my library up and running, I am happy for the time being :slight_smile:

Hey @Alex_Laursen, awesome! Please let us know if you have further issues.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.