Ethernet over Fibre

I used fiber between a couple of TP-link media converters before, and it does give a step up in sound quality. If I needed it today, I would either buy a GigaFOIL v4 or OpticalRendu, because those TP-link isn’t optimal (the last one in the chain matters).

Here is where I got the idea: https://www.audiostream.com/content/electrically-isolate-your-networked-audio

Absolutely! I have the cheap TPLinks for years that cost about $90 total, and it makes quite a nice improvement. Then there is GigaFoil that many people I know own and enjoy. Now the opticalModule just launched. Yet, same characters keep pounding the table calling these unnecessary, snake oil, as somehow they KNOW all the DACs are magically immune to electrical noise transmitted by Ethernet copper lines. And they don’t even need to try. They just know

1 Like

Question: what kind of endpoint is this electrically isolated network connection plugged into? A network streamer or a PC/Pi etc. that is then connected to a standard USB DAC?

In broad terms yes, Pi, Rendu, then DAC?

But then isn’t that a little like brushing your teeth before dessert?

By that, I mean, if you scrub the electrical noise out of the network connection but then plug the other end into another PC-like device, aren’t you just reintroducing a similar noise?

It would make sense if you’re talking about a single-device networked DAC/streamer that has its own isolation or a really good PS. But it doesn’t make as much sense to me if it’s scrubbed of noise and then plugged into something as noisy as the other end?

I replaced the last TP Link FMC in my optical isolation bridge last week with a Sonore opticalModule and consider my mind blown. Second one on order to replace the first FMC in the chain. For $249 it sounds like somebody snuck off to the dealers and secretly replaced my system with one costing twice as much. That’s how much electrical noise there is on ethernet cables! The cheap FMC’s made kind of a nice little stronger tone curve to give the sound a bit of zap, but the opticalModule is more like a sharpening filter in Photoshop. In some ways it almost sounds like a (transparent) DAC before the DAC (or streamer in this case). So much more (well defined I might add) bass energy I had to end up using some DSP in Roon to tame it. Highly recommended and in no way subtle or snake oil or need to wait for burn-in. It’s obvious from the second I plugged it in. Quite possibly one of the bigger upgrades I’ve made to my hifi, and easily biggest in VFM.

1 Like

And no I’m not a Sonore shill! It’s just that my hifi budget is throttled at the moment so no new big box upgrades etc, so it’s always exciting when one can transform their system with such a minor outlay. I predict once consumers and other mfg hear what an audiophile FMC can do, it’s going to be all the rage in hifi next year, with once again Sonore and their EE John Swenson on the cutting edge, and his and Uptones’s new switch probably even better (for more $).

Are you asking me? Assuming so, as your post was right after mine, the electrically isolated ethernet cable is hooked up to my Innuous ZENith MK3. Then I go USB from it to my MSB Discrete DAC

I think he was referring to barrowboy who I think said he has his fiber bridge BEFORE the pi, which might be adding electrical noise back in after the FMC, so one would want it directly before the streamer.

I held off on purchasing the gifaFoil v4. I am also holding off on purchasing the opticalModules and waiting for the etherRegen from Uptone. It’s going to be fantastic. John Swenson is the designer for both Sonore and UpTone products, but it sounds like it’s going to have much more built in than the opticalModules.

As I would need two opticalModules anyways, the price of etherRegen (about $650 projected) is competitive with the dual oMs plus power supplies.

Thanks yes I was asking about this type of configuration but happy for anyone to respond with their opinion.

Ah OK… sorry.

Yes, I agree, the FMCs should be right before the streamer (or the DAC if it has ethernet bridge built in)

The streamer/end point would have a low noise power supply, a minimal device engineered along those lines. So minimal but inevitable noise. Why would you pump loads more noise in if you didn’t have to? Teeth is a poor analogy. How about wanting a quite room, but a little background noise inevitable, where would you want the screaming kids, in the room or in the park down the road?

Yeah, it’s a hard call/toss up and will depend primarily on one’s needs. I’m figuring that if the second opticalModule doesn’t make that much difference at the beginning, I can always use it at the end on my other office set up. I already have a good whole house commercial Cisco switch so just didn’t want to go there with yet another switch. Plus I already had the fiber line run through the floor/wall between the server closet and hifi. Switch, NUC, first FMC etc are all in the closet almost directly below the hifi, and on a different circuit - the hifi is on two different circuits so thing are pretty well isolated.

I think with the cheap consumer units it is a trade off between isolating the ethernet cable ‘noise’ and introducing new noise from the units doing that conversion. Sonore and Uptone have come up with the solution by making low noise, high quality clocked FMC’s/switches. So you get superior isolation without introducing any new issues.

A few short clips from Small Green Computer about their optical networking options. Since my switch does not have a SFP port (and I was not in the market for the opticalRendu), I went for the dual opticalModule setup, with a very short ethernet cable out to my ultraRendu.

More on the Sonore opticalModule-

Here are my impressions. YMMV.

and?? How did it sound? Shame it’s so much more expensive this side of the pond…That’s £600 then buy some power supplies?

A couple of TPLink converters, fibre optic cable and an iFi 9v supply on the receiving end. UK cost about £120. I picked up a 9v SOTM battery supply for £200, so there is no mains noise, and it does both TPLinks. Sonore Optical Modules would cost £540.

I also use short ethernet cables and took advice here ad have ordered 3 x 1m Blue Jeans cable delivered to UK for £50 (router to TPLink1, TPLink2 to Roon server, Roon server to streamer.

I’m happy to take a punt for £120, because low noise for digital is a cumulative improvement, but the Sonore devices are a bit rich for me, but others may not even blink.

1 Like

I did the same. The bundle with two optical Modules, each powered by a SGC linear power supply, and the fiber cable. It should arrive tomorrow

Two modules cost £550 now already! No power supplies. Shipping on the bundle from the US is $162. Generally great products, interested to see if the TPLink option brings anything to the party…

(CISCO 2960 brought big increase in SQ all by itself- is that most of the way there?)