Evaluation of a Roon launch with millions of music titles

Yes the collection and also the work on it is very big. Those who run the marathon distance in sports or want to become Iron Man, invest a lot of time and also money in the right equipment. With the wrong running shoes and without training, no one gets to the finish line faster. Is it work? Is it senseless spending? No it is actually love, joy, fun…

Only when training is complete can the ultimate test of performance be made. What one person sees as big seems very small to another.

Why keep and maintain a few per mille of the music world locally, when everything is available for 10 € monthly?

We affectionately call our investment in time and money a hobby or a way of life that gives meaning. It only cost us the financial and time resources that we gladly invested. It remains not only the quick and cheap consumption and the great forgetting, but the love for the collected unique piece. For some people it is only the one title of a certain album, others see only the album as an artistic work. Few consider the whole life’s work.

Cultural developments only fade after centuries or get lost in millennia. What is a decade of collector or artist passion? A musical epoch perhaps with very few style directions and talents?

An album may still be considered a work of art today, but this art form is often commercially overloaded with a lot of filler material without any artistic effort due to new worldwide marketing techniques, because there are then millions of times not the one dollar, but 10 or more to earn. Who still plays music purely for pleasure? Certainly many millions of musicians live in your home country, but billions of people only let themselves be sprinkled by the radio or television on the side (with a few hundred music titles). At least a few hundred million people have recognized that a paid offer has added value. Very few collect their listening experience or complete it into life’s work. Who does this, binds there its whole life meaningfully.

Valuable memory in the sound picture of your life.

Why not give Roon a chance to make that more perfect? Is there only one way to get there and will it always be flawless? The long breath is needed not only in sports, but is the livelihood of our lives. Breathe!

With the size of a collection and/or many daily listening hours grows after many decades the realization that there are more albums that should not be listened to completely. The compulsion to listen to an LP or cassette completely has already been largely eliminated with the CD.

Impressive listening and buying stories on iTunes, LastFM, Spotify or other data sources show how music is played and bought today. The single download or the hand-picked playlist dominates the scene. Listening to entire albums seems like a relic from the old days. We still like to do that, too. A dogma that this is the only way is disproved.

Filler material in sales is mercilessly devalued by new algorithms. At the same time, this AI pulls out gems from old decades that no radio or TV station or supposed expert has discovered for us yet. This succeeds so frighteningly well and in keeping with personal preferences that one simply has to take a broader view in order not to get caught in a narrow continuous loop.

AI never goes without its own consideration of where the next starting point should be. If you only commit yourself to one genre or artist, you dive much deeper there, you can make better recommendations there, but you remain without your own experience in the entire spectrum of music. Following current music trends over many decades is more arduous. Who doesn’t prefer to continue listening to the music of his youth? Stuck to his classical music, jazz or what really rocks? Hip-hop/rap is that possible?

Enjoying without thoughts and lyrics?

We have many here who can’t really enjoy music until the metadata is right. Roon is making an effort to close that flank. SUCCESSFUL? It’s a field of use that is just being opened up commercially. The marketing slogans are still bigger than the actual results, but it’s actually growing with each passing day. More through communities than individual interests.

We are the niche here with those people who really have the best devices and ears. This is where sound and music experts have interesting discussions and where the old dinosaurs with passion for their own collection still find a home. Here, texts are still read and written. This supposedly great is in reality only an event in the per mille range. The vast majority of people tick differently, hear differently and no longer need all this.

Without effort from developers, data services and community, unfortunately, it’s not all there. It’s not enough to just subscribe to a music service and everything comes to your house automatically and securely. We experience failures, gaps and much that is not yet perfectly designed, even if the marketing statements always sound different. Everything that can be found so far, remains power effort that in the age of computers in large community and many individual achievements with joy together.

I wish all developers, supporters and this community even in the face of setbacks, dead ends, mistakes, gaps…

Always creativity, joy of work and creative power. We want the good result of this work.

1 Like

what size storage do you have for this lot?

2 x WD Elements Desktop external hard drive 12 TB (compatible with USB 3.0 and USB 2.0, high transfer rates, shockproof, robust housing) black for lossy archive (95% MP3) plus 1 NVME SSD 2 TB. RAM should be designed in triple size 64 GB. My CPU 16 cores remains without utilization

As usual, performance drops temporarily on holidays and weekends. To determine the influence of my own service provider, I performed various DSL speed tests. Here I stick to the excellent values shown below. It is always significantly more than contractually promised. If Roon had the same luck with its service providers, I would certainly be on the road with about three times the speed, but it’s always only one weekend per week and patience is the virtue of the day!

06/05 05:02:29 Info: Starting RoonServer v1.8 (build 952) stable on linuxx64

For comparison, here is the data from Thursday:

Screenshot_20220602_212627

What dns are you using, 33ms seems very long?

1 Like

Are you just adding or actually doing analysis of the tracks for audio too? @Uwe_Albrecht

1 Like

@mikeb Thank you for the questions and assistance. There are things that can be improved with the community. The recommendation of the community so far was:

1.1.1.1 is a better bet too

1 Like

The response time should not include DNS resolving.
But i agree 33ms is a bit slow today, it’s more like 4G response

1 Like

The wizard can do magic and so often helps. I have already read this database completely. Only the metadata optimizer is still working, really everything I thought of has been turned off. No new data, no logins to Qobuz and Tidal, pause playing Roon until everything is done. No audio analysis…

1 Like

I live in a small village here, so these are dream values in a German comparison, and with this value I could be 3 times as fast on Thursday.

This benchmark also shows that it is now not so unusual or bad, but maybe something still goes with 1.1.1.1 to the last German village.

1.1.1.1 is looking like a better option for you Uwe

1 Like

I think a look at the logs is more revealing when I look at the last hour, 1 album in almost an hour is not what we want to accomplish. You can’t explain that with the benchmark above either.

Unfortunately, the metadata optimizer was not so successful today. There are 4446 times the status CouldNotIdentify in about 14 hours.

or

Trace:metadatasvc]GOT[…]Sooloos.Msg.Metadata.UpdateMetadataResponse:

Values in ms

Top10 of 751 Values (ms)
06/05 08:33:12 69074
06/05 10:14:16 103447
06/05 10:20:24 81113
06/05 17:52:46 59140
06/05 18:10:40 70790
06/05 18:26:15 65809
06/05 18:34:46 64738
06/05 19:37:49 78524
06/05 19:42:49 118968
06/05 19:46:13 61413

or

Trace:[metadatasvc]GOT[…]Sooloos.Msg.Metadata.GetMetadataResponse:

Values in ms

Top10 of 4426 Values (MS)
06/05 10:24:52 108685
06/05 10:24:52 108686
06/05 10:26:42 110530
06/05 10:26:42 110533
06/05 10:26:42 110534
06/05 10:26:42 110536
06/05 10:26:42 110538
06/05 10:29:37 92941
06/05 19:40:02 132519
06/05 19:40:02 132520

I think we should not talk about Google 8.8.8.8 and 33 ms.

systemctl restart roonserver wait 1 hour

Screenshot_20220605_204334

why plus 6 albums? with o identified

Screenshot_20220605_204456

next 1 hour

Screenshot_20220605_214455

0 identified tracks

plus 8 albums with filter identified why?

I stopped my roonserver, for me the metadata response and also its updater died it doesn’t bring anything out anymore. Unfortunately also this processing chain is not stable anymore.

New morning new luck?

06/06 05:21:09 Info: Starting RoonServer v1.8 (build 952) stable on linuxx64

Screenshot_20220606_061408

Unfortunately, no, but I’m mustering up the patience to wait for the team, which I’m sure will be back for us tomorrow. A round of developers is needed to discuss what to do in this situation.

I tend to soberly assess what the next Step is by the number and type of customer problems reported. It could be a new update or a general rollback of the release. Difficult decisions for customer satisfaction, but not really a new experience for Windows users.

Taking a different (faster) step than before is also not free of risks.

I now stop my server and play beautiful music with Foobar2000. Everyone should have an alternative if Roon temporarily does not work well and then start again with joy.

Gladly I also take up ideas from the community. They also help in bug dignosis and are fodder for the development team to make us more satisfied.

Try the alternative nice hours if it does not work here now and be happy if you are not affected.

@mikeb @wizardofoz have a look = both perfect in my village

but Google is better

1 Like

I would while all this trial and error is going on you are at least listening to music by some means - I hate having no tunes playing - especially while pottering about

1 Like