Existing path browser enhancements & availability from composition screen

This is really a multi-part feature request to support the usability of what I believe is a common workflow. Each on their own makes little sense.They depend on each other. So I will put them all up front here and describe the workflow so the dependencies between them are clear. I would prefer no work at all but we seem to have a way to go on that. In the meantime:

a) Can we have a path browser on the composition screen?
b) Can we drag and drop on the path browser?
c) Can we place user defined performance level tags on the composition page?
d) Can we roll up user defined performance level tags in multi-part works to the same level as performed on / performed by, conductor, composer etc.?

a) Can we have a path browser on the composition screen?

Despite all the ink spilt on this roon actually has something that walks, talks and quacks a lot like a folder browser. There are some usability issues (details below) but you have to turn it on first in the tracks screen. I suspect many are not aware. I wasn’t.

With Classical I use mostly the composition screen. I hardly ever use the tracks screen which is why I was not aware of this. But I imagine many Classical roonies have a lot of sunk effort and hidden information in their paths and it makes much more sense to me to tidy up my Classical library from the composition screen if that were possible. A path browser is not available from the composition screen. When I turn on the path column and I do a filter on Bruckner and Symphony No. 6 I see this:

Now I can see that I have versions of the original score by Brucker himself, the 1899 revision by his pupil Hynais and the 1935 revision by Haas. This detail is actually lost by roon as all the different revisions are rolled up into one generic composition.

This is a general problem for Classical in roon as the composition/performance hierarchy is too flat. I have raised several tickets and may be one day this issue will be addressed properly but in the meantime what I can do is highlight the different paths and tag them with the different revisions:

b) Can we drag and drop on the path browser?

However, prior to doing that I might want to drag a path onto another tool. Maybe my paths are untidy or not as good as I thought or I want to do something else. Perhaps split a cue+single flac or re-tag something in the file with mp3tag or whatever and then just drag it back.

c). Can we place user defined performance level tags on the composition page?

It is far from ideal as these user defined tags telling me which revision is which are not visible on the composition page (where I really want them).

But at least when I go to an individual performance I know what revision I am listening to like this:

or this:

d) Can we roll up user defined performance level tags in multi-part works to the same level as performed on / performed by, conductor, composer etc.?

What I would really like to see is:

Bonus request

I guess everyone is using these custom tags for different purposes but “Tags” looks too techie for my taste so it would be nice if that label could be user defined. Maybe I would prefer to define it as “edition”, “revision”, “score” or similar. Others will have other preferences.

That is an interesting proposal especially for those that used custom tags. But not all did. Another common strategy was to do much the same thing with highly structured folders. Not ideal as has been discussed to death here.

However, if you did this in the past you can actually browse your paths at a track level in roon, but it is not on by default. You have to enable it. I don’t think many are aware of this feature. I wasn’t. For some, this creates a practical way forward to migrating and inter-operating legacy libraries:

What I liked about the ROONTAG file tag suggestion is that you can batch add such a tag (and consequently a tag in Roon) to any group of files you can group in a file tag viewer. That’s very powerful even if you haven’t curated your filetags in the past.

Agreed and it is nice to have options.

Tagging via the path browser is also a batch process. It is focusing, filtering and highlighting batches after all. The main reason for doing it that way is:

1. It is actually easier than doing it from some of the windows taggers I use, and provides a more intuitive handle on the metadata “hidden” in my paths. Many of us are in this boat after years maintaining legacy libraries.
  2. I would like to drive the process from a roon “cockpit”. The motivation is how the final result looks in roon so roon is always my starting point which involves a lot of swapping in and out of roon screens to check I got the result I was expecting. Mostly I like to do this from the composition screen.
  3. I may not (or I may) want to put roon only readable tags into my files. I haven’t tried so I don’t know. But does export preserve my roon tags? In that case this proposal is essentially ROONTAG in reverse.

I don’t think it is either/or. I would not be surprised if there were other legacy library management strategies. But the two that I am aware of are custom tags and structured paths. I am just guessing but from comments on this forum, structured paths seems to have been a much more common strategy.

Yes:

https://kb.roonlabs.com/Export