Expand album review in same window [SOLVED]

Surprised this hasn’t made it into 1.1, given the extent of user feedback on this.

Surprised LOL … Have you seen how much has been done in this time frame?

It could have been done, but then 1.1 would not have been release in August, or maybe the team could have put meta data editing on hold :wink:

I’m not complaining Carl - but this feature appears to have been one of the most requested, that’s all. I’m sure that it will appear in the next/a future release.

Hi,
I hope so too … I’m not keen on it either and it can and should be slicker, but it was quite a way down on my “wish list”.

we tried a few different ui designs to make this work, and hated every single one.

we’ve actually been working on this problem for a few years now. need new inspiration.

when we have a good solution, itll get in.

1 Like

@danny, is what allmusic.com does not acceptable - it’s unobtrusive and pretty easy to just click/touch on Read More / Collapse to seet/hide all text. Personally I’d prefer that the default position is the review/biography is shown in full at the outset with the ability to Collapse if needed.

i just looked at allmusic’s review of that album, and although it looks great at that tiny font, even when expanded, i edited the html and made the font significantly bigger like in Roon. Then I expanded and was annoyed and how much text there was to scroll through and back up.

Then I tried to find a long bio/review, and noticed a few really long ones are on artist bios. Notice for example:

That bio is on a page of its own, not expanding inline, because it suffers from the thing I hate about whenever I put the review/bio inline: it scrolls on and on and on, and eventually you lose all orientation of where you are in the page of other data.

There was a suggestion to allow it to get like 3x as tall, and then scroll within that. That I liked in principle, but vertical scrolling inside vertical scrolling page killed me.

Curious if the Roon guys have come up with a better solution for this?
I always start reading artist info or an album review and when I click to expand it takes quite a few seconds to scan and try and find where the heck the reading continues.
If there is no immediate plans to fix this, can we possibly get a fix so that the popup window is formatted the same as the preview. The big problem, at least for me, is that the preview may contain 4 lines of reading, but when I click the box to expand, the end of that 4th line could now be in the middle of the 5th or 6th line making it tough to continue reading uninterrupted.

2 Likes

We came up with a great solution for the phone UI, just a week ago, and are porting that back to the desktop now. It’s not exactly the same, but it should work.

3 Likes

Looking forward to it!

[quote=“danny, post:30, topic:820, full:true”]
We came up with a great solution for the phone UI, just a week ago, and are porting that back to the desktop now. It’s not exactly the same, but it should work.
[/quote]@danny Love what you’ve done with album reviews and biographies on the tablet. Are you planning to do the same for Genres and Subgenre info … they still have that white popout screen :grimacing:

Fixed for next build