Expert Pro is finally Roon Ready

There is a dedicated thread on this issue on Devialet chat forum, problem is around Ethernet auto-negotiation / flow control…

https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Roon-RAAT-and-An-audio-file-is-loading-slowly?page=14

1 Like

How does one set up WiFi only? Is it just a matter of selecting WiFi in the configurator and putting in SSID and password? Also, I will disable the Ethernet port. Any other steps? One other question: will that also permit Spotify Connect to work wirelessly?

Yes, you need to enter your wifi details in the configurator. Currently there is no way to disable the Ethernet but it doesn’t show as an input if you unplug the cable.

Spotify Connect works perfectly here, my daughter uses it all the time on the Devialet.

1 Like

Click the RJ45 to disable wired - this step is not really necessary, as simply unplugging the ethernet cable will also disable wired.

Click the wifi “signal bars” to enable wifi, then click “wifi settings” to enter the SSID and password.

1 Like

I had problems with a Cat.5e cable.

Important are good LAN cables (Cat.6 or Cat.7).

So I have no problems, the Devialet (Expert 210 Pro) hangs (with 1000Mbps) on a switch Netgear GS116Ev2.

I have a 30m CAT 5e cable running from my modem to the access point next to my 250 Pro. Doesn’t cause any problems.
The rest of the signal path is ethernet > 100mbps Cisco > fibre optic > TP Link media converter > ethernet > Innuos Roon server > ethernet > 250 Pro.

It would be well worth reading this thread from elsewhere.

https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Roon-RAAT-and-An-audio-file-is-loading-slowly

I posted on that thread as I did have the issue. Whatever it is, it’s not cable quality as I use very cheap cables, the 30m CATe was put in but my satellite company for free and otherwise I use cheap cables. I use a 10/100 switch and found a very simple start-up procedure to get Devialet’s Roon Ready to work, and it works every time. I’ve not had any problems since.

While the 100mbps network speed does address the issue for me, I sure hope Roon and/or Devialet can get the problem addressed properly. Seems both have gone silent since the problem was first identified a few months back so I’m hoping it is a work in progress.

I’ve been in touch with Dev support on the config that works for me, and the set up routine to get Roon Ready to work, and they come back to me asking for more details. So I think they are working on it.

I just set up a Devialet Expert 220 Pro. Sound is wonderful. Streaming via Roon is appalling. It’s simply unfathomable that Devialet has not fixed the situation after months. I am in the process of selling a Lyngdorf TDAi-3400 that never had one performance problem. Roon Ready was rock solid. If the Devialet amp didn’t match so well with my speakers, especially with the SAM functionality, I’d unpack the Lyngdorf and be done with this mess.

2 Likes

Owning Devialet hardware is a love/hate relationship. They make truly advanced hardware that sounds exceptional. But their software is bug-prone at times, they are painfully slow at addressing these issues, and communication is near non-existent. But even with all that, I wouldn’t trade my Expert Pros for anything.

I am confident they will … eventually… get this resolved - hopefully with Roon’s help.

1 Like

@mdconnelly Michael, you are a patient man. You first reported an issue with Devialet and RAAT on Devialet Chat on Feb. 14. We are now sitting here on May 11, 87 days later. Nary an official word from Devialet and no solution in sight. Something tells me the Devialet team in France has not been entirely diligent regarding this matter.

1 Like

Yep, you’re right. But since streaming Roon at 100 mbps instead of gigabit speed works just fine, I don’t see it as an urgent issue. And besides, there’s little I can do to improve Devialet’s response on this (despite logging a couple of tickets to Devialet). I will say that I’m a bit disappointed that Roon @support hasn’t provided some form of update, but I suspect it’s all in Devialet’s hands.

Nevertheless also expect as many here an update from @support as this is directly related to Roon.

Yes I still don’t understand why this is being labeled a Devialet problem, Roon’s stated objective is that they do not award Roon Ready status until it is thoroughly tested and signed off as 100% perfect.

This is a Roon problem, whether the error is with Devialet or not, Roon should not have given it Roon Ready status with obvious problems existing.

3 Likes

Well, I had a minor success today: I had both Roon Ready and Roon Devialet AIR enabled. Problem was they both had the same IP address. I should have realized that was a conflict. So, I disabled AIR, turned off my Roon Nucleus and then rebooted the D220 and Roon Nucleus in succession. Now, at least, Roon Ready doesn’t come and go and I can play songs without any dropouts. I still have slow loading media from Tidal and track skipping but it’s leagues better than before.

This is ok, they are different protocols to the same endpoint (device).

I keep both Roon AIR and Roon Ready enabled and can readily switch between them. Since both are using ethernet to my Expert Pro, they do share the same IP address. The only problem I’ve experienced is that Roon Ready will not work well at gigabit network speed.

That’s good to know, thanks. Well, I’m staying put for the moment as at least I have a somewhat workable solution.