Export missing from iOS app

1.4 is an excellent update and the iOS output development is very welcome.

I do have one issue which is probably user error, but I cannot see an ‘export’ option anywhere. Do I have to execute something in settings to enable this?

1 Like

I can’t see it either. Used to be under the three dot menus. I thought I’d seen it after 1.4. I’ll find out where it’s gone. Thanks for spotting it.

Are you using an iOS Control ? Export isn’t activated for the iOS app. You need a computer to do the file management. I’ve fallen for that before …

Yes, I am using iOS devices. I run a Roon core server, not a PC, which is controlled by iOS apps - how do I get to export in that case?

With a PC or Mac Remote on a computer. Export needs file management hooks in the operating system in order to export music files or an Excel file.

If your server is running Windows or MacOS you can use the Remote Desktop Client app (or the Mac equivalent) from an iPad to instal Roon on top of RoonServer, point it at your Core and access Export. You only need to run the Roon Remote when you want to use Export.

Thanks for the assistance Andy. Sorry if I’m being dumb, but I can’t figure this out. My Zenith sever is a headless unit and is controlled by iDevices - it does not run Windows or OS. I am running Roon Bridge on 3 PC’s but, again, they have no control interface and rely upon the iDevices for control. I can’t see a control app for Windows and no other software apps allow control. It’s probably quite obvious, but what am I missing?

Prior to having the server run core, I ran Roon core on a PC but, once I adopted the server as core, I could no longer run Roon core on the PC since you can only run one instance of Roon core a time.

Does export allow an iDevice to be specified as a storage device? I suspect not from your earlier response.

Hi Malcolm,

No worries. It can be confusing. The good thing here is that you have a number of PCs that can run Roon.

Pick your favourite one for editing, whether it is the server or a Roon Bridge host and install Roon on it. When it asks if you want to use that PC to manage your library (ie, be a Core), say No. Point it at your Existing Core instead. This is termed running Roon as a Remote. You can then use that Roon Remote as a Control for your existing Core and it will have Export available.
You might find you’ve now got two Zones for that computer. One for Roon Bridge and one for Roon. Or not, I haven’t tested what happens when two Outputs are running on the same machine. Since you only want Roon Remote for its Export capability you need only run it when you want to use that, and otherwise continue using Roon Bridge or the Core as you have been.

You can Export music files or a spreadsheet to any Storage Location that the Windows running on your Roon Remote can access. That will include local storage devices, USB sticks and Network shares. If Windows can see your iOS device then you will be able to Export to it.

My reference to the Microsoft Remote Desktop Client app was for if you don’t have a monitor or keyboard hooked up to the PC where you are running Roon Remote. That app will let you access the Windows desktop on such a machine from your iPad devices. I use it to do things to my Core server, which doesn’t have monitor or keyboard.

Thanks for the info - this is great as it has put me right where I wanted to be. I have uninstalled Roon Bridge and installed Roon instead and I can now control playback and settings around the house from my iDevices as well as any of the PC’s and also playback from each device separately.

I think you must have changed something at some point? I’m sure Roon was originally called Roon Core and you could only run one instance of Core at any one time. I seem to recall when I got my Roon server, I had to uninstall Roon Core from the PC and use Roon Bridge - if that’s not the case, then that is my error as what I have now is what I wanted all along. I should have paid more attention.

Thanks very much for the assistance. One of the (many) great things about Roon is the way that I can control and utilise playback all round the house using a myriad different disparate devices and each device can be chosen to best suit each application.

2 Likes

Be aware that there are issues connecting to a Windows PC running Roon using the Remote Desktop Client. I have been doing the same and every time I connect the local endpoints (those connected directly to the Windows machine and visible to its OS) are lost. Only a reboot brings them back, which leaves you having to reboot your Roon PC after each RDP connection.

A workaround is to use Google Chrome Remote Desktop or TeamViewer instead of RDP.

Obviously if you do not have any end points connected directly to the Roon PC then there is no issue and RDP is fine.

or Splashtop

1 Like

Remote Desktop defaults to playing audio on an accessing PC. You need to alter audio to play on the Remote PC. This will allow Roon to continue playing on the local endpoints connected to your Roon PC. This isn’t an issue for the iOS RDP app, just Remote Desktop between PCs.

That said, since iOS has now added a (primitive) file system and cloud storage, we should push on allowing Export.

With more storage on iPads, and Files, and transparent replication and backup through iCloud Drive, I find I use my iDevices routinely for PDFs like magazines and manuals and books and articles and papers (including those I have created). I still question the attempt to turn the iWorld into general purposes, but for specific purposes it is very convenient.

Whilst you are correct about the settings that can be changed, the Microsoft Remote Desktop Client for iOS has the same problem as the PC version if you do not amend those settings.

It’s actually not a problem, it’s a feature that the engineering team is very proud of (the product was in my division, at one time). Not just audio output, but input and USB and a variety of technologies are local to the accessing machine. This is by far the most common scenario: you view a video or something, you want the sound where you sit and not in some server room.

Roon is the unusual case, being an audio server. That’s why the setting exists, to support such edge cases.

OK that’s great. Clearly I meant the problem for Roon on a headless box, not with RDP client.