External drive is Read-Only

I’m trying to delete a large folder from my external drive connected to my NUC. For some reason all the folders are marked read-only. How can I change the permissions to delete the files?

What filesystem is your external drive formatted with?

From Nucleus Media Storage And Audio Devices:

Storage Devices

Roon can watch multiple storage locations for files at the same time. That means you can simultaneously use any (or all) of the following storage locations:

1. Devices connected directly to Nucleus by USB
    If your music is stored on an external USB drive, plug it into your Nucleus now. Nucleus supports USB drives pre-formatted as EXT2/3/4, VFAT/FAT32/FAT16/exFAT, NTFS, or HFS/HFS+. Note that HFS/HFS+ (also known as “Mac OS Journaled”) is read-only, which means that Nucleus will not be able to make changes or store new music on the USB drive.

From ROCK: Storage Basics:

USB Storage - Best Practice

If you’re going to directly connect a USB drive to your Core, you will have some options about how you want to format your drive.

We recommend USB drives connected to ROCK be formatted exFAT if you requires compatibility, or EXT4 if you don’t.

Advantages of using exFAT include:

• Cross platform compatibility (macOS, Windows, Linux)
  • No real limits on drive size or file size

ROCK will also work with NTFS ,FAT32, and EXT2/3/4 drives, but if you are starting fresh with USB storage, our recommendation would be to use exFAT.

1 Like

Yup, that’s the issue. Mac OS Journal. I’ll reformat the drive.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.