External SSD through SMB shows everything in double

Not sure where to put this as it seems more related to Mac than Roon software.
Admin, please move it as you deem fit.

I have an external 2 TB SSD connected to my Nucleus.

When connected to my Mac the SSD shows this, about 400 GB occupied and 1,5 TB free:

When connected to my Nucleus and checking the SSD through network on my Mac, it shows me everything double, total capacity, occupied and free space, all the folders are double as well with exactly the same time stamp.

Doesn’t seem to be a big deal but still I wonder why the difference?

Is the location in storage set to see the entire external drive?
If so, it is probably seeing your “Roon Backup” folder. It is not a recommended practice to have your back-up saved in a “watched” folder.
see here for info:

and here is the warning:

A couple of questions

1. What is the format of the drive? exFAT? HFS+?
  2. When plugged into the Mac can you run diagnostic tools on the drive to make sure everything is ok?

To remove a drive “cleanly” from Nucleus or ROCK you need to power down the machine first. At least, you should disable the location in Storage/Settings first.

@bearFNF I think the OP is referring to the Nucleus/Rock seeing two drives in its samba share. Nothing to do with any Roon based watched locations. I had this happen to me recently with an NTFS formatted drive.
the line withe the red arrow was doubled on the SMB share. I plugged my drive into a Windows box and ran a disk repair. Rebooted the NUC. And then plugged the drive back in and it is now showing correctly, as you can see.

2 Likes

Only my Music folder on the SSD is watched by Roon:

I have 2 backups, one the SSD in question (and thus not watched by Roon) and the other one on my NAS

1 Like

Rugby:

1 ExFAT
2 That dit the trick, although diskutil didn’t report any problems, now the SMB is reporting the same as when SSD is connected to my Mac. Don’t know what happened but many tks anyway

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.