Extreme number of requests to 'time.nist.gov'

Hi all,

My ROCK server (OS Version 1.0 (build 259) production, Server SW Version 2.0 (build 1382) production, NUC) makes an extremly large number of queries to ‘time.nist.gov’. Last 24 hours about 6.500 requests which makes about 14% of all requests in my network. Any idea why this happens and how to stop it?
THXs alot!

Was this only in the last 24 hours, or is that the daily average of requests? You might reboot the server and see if that has any effect.

According to NIST, queries from a source, you, need to exceed more than once every four seconds for them to consider it an issue. That would be more than 7200 requests in a 24 hour period. So, you are not in any danger of exceeding what NIST considers unreasonable.

This is a bit high, but not necessarily something to be concerned about. When NTP starts it is initially very chatty in trying to establish connections to multiple peers and it calms down after it syncs up with 3 or 4 of them. If there is an issue in establishing these peer connections then it can get into a state where it attempts to sync more frequently than usual.

I’ve seen issues like this when a customer’s router or ISP is limiting NTP traffic or, in some cases, is using DNS to try to funnel NTP requests to a different pool of servers. Your ISP doesn’t care if this causes more traffic to be generated on your LAN, just as long as they can keep the amount down on their WAN connections.

I wouldn’t be especially concerned about this.

Thank you for your answers. You have led me to the right solution. For whatever reason, time.nist.gov is not reachable. So I just rerouted requests to time.nist.gov to time.cloudflare.com - and since then I had 2 queries and everything works fine.
THXs again!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.