Fastest way to get my music files onto the local nucleus SSD

Hi,
I am upgrading my nucleus+ Vers.B internal SSD and now thinking what is the fastest way to get my 2TB of CD-Rips and HD-Downloads onto the new SSD.
Can I format the SSD with NTFS, copy all files onto it using Windows, install it into the nucleus+ and ready?
Or do I have to install it and let nucleus+ format it and after that copy it slowly via network or an external usb drive connected via the USB at the outside of nucleus?
How are You doing this? What is the fastest way doing this?

Thanks
Wolfram

No. Nucleus is based on Linux and uses the native file system on internal disks. See documentation:

The best way is to copy if over the network. It won’t take all that long anyway.

I don’t know if you could get away with formatting it ext4fs under Linux, or if the Nucleus does some special things anyway that required a reformat in the Nucleus. You could install it in the Nucleus, format it, uninstall it and mount it on a Linux machine, copy the files, move it back.

But who wants to do that if you can copy over the network. You don’t need to watch it while it copies, do something else in the meantime

1 Like

As @Suedkiez says, format on your Nucleus and then copy your music across the network. I did the same recently with a similar amount of files and it took a little over five hours.

Michael

1 Like

Your Nucleus will be wired anyway.

But make sure the source machine is connected ti wired internet too if you can.

The Nucleus needs to format it and it will so do to ext4 which is not Windows friendly, so you will not really ever be able to attach it to a Windows machine, reliably. There are Windows drivers which would allow for that, but, I’ve found them to be prone to errors.

Only across the network, RoonOS does not have an option for copying from an attached external drive to an internal one. When doing so, attach the drive to a different PC to avoid an extra network hop.

Also, keep in mind, that you cannot use the internal drive as a location for your Roon database backups, so, you either need to keep the USB drive attached to do those, or, setup a network location for the backup.

Many thanks for Your valuable answers, this helps me a lot to avoid trial and error!
Greetings
Wolfram

So, the “old” SSD is now replaced by a one with more space and I am already copying my music library from my iMac to the new SSD in my Nucleus+ So far so good.

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Make Ext4 SSD reusable