1 Like

3 Likes

RoonShareImage-638100177514066828

3 Likes

Three perfect live albums

2 Likes

Just out yesterday…. Sounds fabulous!

7 Likes

This album is rated poorly by critics but it really is a good album and recorded extremely well.

1 Like

Half the time I think critics write whatever they think will make them seem cool/hip or whatever the term is now.

2 Likes

I think a lot of them have lost the original meaning of critic, to judge or decide and therefore deliver a critique to thinking they have to deliver criticism.

3 Likes

Have you heard Live at Ancienne Belgique - Brussels, BE - 11​/​10​/​15? Also on Bandcamp and I think it is a superior concert. Love Mr. Tillman from Off-Key though.

Great ‘one take’ live album Carmen Gomes Inc. - Carmen Gomes Sings The Blues

1 Like

Indeed and a musician once told me that most critics are failed musicians :grinning:

RoonShareImage-638480423564336723

Unfortunately, my favorite live version of any of CSN release happens to be only available in DVD format. Fortunately however, thanks to some software technology, I was able to rip and play it via roon.

In my opinion, they were at their peak when this was recorded back in1982, at the Universal Amphitheater in Los Angeles.

6 Likes

@jb76 4 way street is quite good, got it on vinyl. Circa 1973

2 Likes

Listened to 4 way, The Acoustic Session, CSNY 1974, and Allies. None, imo, come as close to matching the harmonies heard on their studio albums as Daylight Again achieves live from beginning to end.

1 Like

I listened to 1974…in August 1974, at the Liberty Bowl in Memphis.

great show, including a 30 minute version of Carry On.

1 Like

Good Lord, sorry I missed seeing that concert. Regrettably, I have yet to see any version of the band or its individual members live and in person. Will rectify the latter when Neil Young & Crazy Horse come to Nashville in May.

It’s a small world as Memphis was my old stomping grounds for 46 years, transferring into the city in 1976. I was fortunate to catch many great concerts there, including The Rolling Stones @ the Liberty Bowl back in 1994.

I saw C&N in '76 I think, at the Mississippi River Festival in East St. Louis, and a year or so later saw Nash solo in Atlanta. at the end of his show the band played Ohio as an encore, and the crowd sang along to the chorus…for 15 minutes. they finally had to bring the house lights up and tell everyone to go home.

I went to college in Memphis, first Southwestern (now Rhodes), and then transferred to Memphis State for the better music department. that may not have been the right choice. I left in early '82 and moved to NYC.

1 Like

Would imagine that you did not have to travel as far to catch some quality acts after your move to NYC.

Made the 70-mile trek from Oxford to the Mid-South Coliseum to see Jethro Tull back in 1975. Here is my favorite live Tull album from three years later in NYC’s Madison Square Garden…

RoonShareImage-638482877171248259

2 Likes

ah, the Mid-South Coliseum, located on Early Maxwell Drive. I studied voice with his widow, Ethel. of course, after he passed, he became the late Early Maxwell…

over the years at the MSC I saw Kansas, Charlie Daniels Band, Marshall Tucker, The Guess Who, Jackson Browne, James Taylor, Warren Zevon…I’m sure there were others I can’t remember now.

1 Like

Likewise, attended many a concert at MSC. The city closed it down in 2006. But the most memorable concert I ever attended there was Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band in 1984.

Do not believe Springsteen and the boys ever put out a mediocre live performance. But if I had to pick one of my favorites, it would have to be this one…

RoonShareImage-638482907761065167

Since I see you have also seen him live, you can probably attest to the fact that Bruce puts a hell of a lot of energy and soul into his performances. The E Street Band had to actually pour a large bucket of ice water over Bruce to cool him down midway through the performance I attended. Here’s a good example of what I am talking about…

2 Likes