Feature Request? Ethernet linking/bridging

Sounds to me like you just need to embrace modern digital media - I think of a small ethernet switch as being an essential part of any modern AV cabinet or rack :slight_smile:

1 Like

Perhaps. But they are ugly, they flash and their presence is a temptation to a bored audiophile with tendencies to tinker! AV I think is a different scenario to audio only.

I do to. I have so many devices which I want wired at each entertainment center that I always have a 5 or 8 port switch there, and then out to the various devices.

Agree that they flash and are ugly, but they can be hidden usually, and certainly less ugly than most power strips that are even more essential :slight_smile: (Maybe Belkin and the like will start making combined power outlets and network switches?)

As for AV vs HiFi being different scenarios, a few years ago I would have agreed. But today? I have more audio devices networked than AV devices and for many people the lines are becoming quite blurred, especially with some people having hybrid setups at all levels.

In fact I would say Roon adds to blurring those lines with being able to incorporate TV now playing displays into an otherwise purely audio system without that historically being the realm of TV and set top box based media players. More folks who love their music and maybe AV are starting to have a cupboard in their home that is start to get more like a micro data-center - something that even only a decade ago was firmly in the realm of computer geeks.

Its brave new world - enjoy! :slight_smile:

BTW - just noticed this - https://www.netgear.co.uk/landings/lifestyle-switch/ - less fugly and lights hidden.

3 Likes

Melco say this. I find some of it a little tenuous and they seem to have some magic data cleaner for ethernet. :slight_smile:

Why would anyone want Direct mode no internet to a modern streamer or control of it via it’s own app is beyond me, but hey everyone to their own. Then I can’t stand using Naims app.

2 Likes

Some see the value in total traffic isolation but that isn’t what I am after. I quite specifically want the streamer to be visible to your local DHCP server.

Thanks you!
You know what I wanted.

1 Like

Potential beneficiaries:
Teac/Esoteric
Lumin
Sonore Rendu products
Ropieee users
PS Audio Bridge II users
Indeed, any streamer that requires web page based admin as part of its setup and administration or that simply doesn’t allow you to assign it an IP.

2 Likes

At last,Do you success?
Rock is linux,How to control the rock-linux and DHCP networkcard。

No success yet. But no rejection yet either!

You can Install simple linux Os on your computer,and DHCP IP to two networkcard ,and install rock os in
virtual machine

I know. But I like ROCK and it’s ease of use and single purpose. I just want to help make it that little bit better and equip it with functionality that makes it and the hardware it serves complete.

1 Like

Mee tooHow do I install a virtual switch software for rock?

You don’t. We can request they add it here. Hopefully it is something they might consider.

Yeah @danny

SOUNDWAVE could setting IP

Hey Tomas,
If you can manually assign an IP to your streamer you can make it work but a lot of streamers like my NT-505 need a DHCP assigned IP. Frustratingly, when I plug mine in to port 1, it sees my ROCK server and tells me it is Roon but I can’t play to it or control it.

Uptone are close to bringing an Ethernet isolation device that physically and electrically separates its ‘A’ inputs from a single B side output. In theory it’s most effective application will be in a linked Ethernet scenario between your server and your streaming device, sitting between the Core and streamer. At the moment this method will be unavailable to ROCK and Nucleus users. It can still be used more conventionally though. But it would be cool if we could use it optimally.

So they pretend to invent something new, slap on some audiophool gibberish and price accordingly.

They are not pretending. What they are doing is much different and about blocking noise where the device you show is about blocking “excessive leakage currents”. Notice the word used is “excessive” and not “all”.