Feedback on iOS Hardware Requirements

Normally we’d absolutely support these older models, but the move from the iPad 3 to the iPad Air, and the iPad Mini to the Mini 2, represents a major architectural shift for Apple from 32-bit to 64-bit devices going forward. These new 64-bit devices also support OpenGL ES 3.0, which gives us the same flexibility in our UI that you see in the desktop version – smooth animations, custom graphics, fluid navigation – characteristics of Roon that distinguish us from competitors and have earned us lifetime customers.

We could support older iPads, but in the end we have to recognize that we’d be developing for a dying line of devices, and we wouldn’t be giving our customers the same great experience they get with our desktop apps because of the lack of OpenGL ES 3.0 support. Ultimately, looking at the cost-benefit analysis in the development effort for supporting these older models, it just doesn’t work in our favor. We’ve pored over this extensively and looked at all of our options, but we’re being forced to develop in the direction Apple is taking us.

That said, the move from 32-bit to 64-bit by Apple is going to help us greatly in the long run. By building a 64-bit iPad app, we’ve laid down the foundation we need to move our desktop application to 64-bit. This means massive performance improvements, and better support for larger collections.

I hope that you understand our situation here, and that support for the older iPad models is not so cut and dry. I know you say that you’ve been happy with the older iPads, but as a former iPad 3 owner myself who made the move to just the lower model iPad Air, the difference is night and day. These new devices are so much snappier and a joy to use. A few of our team members are also owners of the iPad Mini 2 and 3, and they’ll say the same thing – the new iPads are top-of-the-line and the Roon experience on them is unparalleled.

5 Likes