FIBRE NETWORKING on Lumin U2

I’m now with Ethernet network , All good.
I want to try FIBRE NETWORKING instead of copper Ethernet.
Ordered all recommended items as seen in Lumin support website - Thanks for that !
Question please :
My Router and Main Switch (No SFP Slot) is far away from the Lumin (15M)
Can I add the Extra recommended switch (With SFP Slot) at the end of the Ethernet cable - near the Lumin with Only 1Meter Fiber Cable to the Lumin OR only use Fiber cable 15M from the Main Router and switches all the way to the Lumin ?
Thank You.

I would go with pragmatic reasons before any soundquality biases.
A 15m fibre will absolutely not be affected by emi/rfi but those are (in domestic areas) nowhere near any levels that would affect a 15m ethernet cable either.
Unless you listen in a metal producing/high voltage using industry! :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Let’s hear your opinion when this is done, it is an efficient way of galvanically separate!

2 Likes

You can use fibre over the 15M and as @Mikael_Ollars states it will conveniently provide galvanic isolation. I have used fibre ethernet for a couple if years without issue however I have found no discernible difference in sound quality, YMMV.

2 Likes

Is the LAST Fiber Meter consider to be : “galvanic isolation” ?

That’s the point.

Galvanvic isolation will take place at the point of insertion in your network, i.e, if you use the sfp to “feed” your switch anything beyond the switch will be isolated.
I have a long ethernet feed router to my sfp, a half metre optical lead to another sfp which feeds an ethernet switch. All networked audio devices are connected to the switch.

2 Likes