Fiio M11Plus ESS and M11S with Roon Ready is fanatasic!

I just use the stock one it comes with although I may get the Plus LTD case as it has a metal vent for cooling. But not sure if dimensions of the older LTD are the same, button layout is.

I didn’t like the version of that case that came with the M17. The edges of the vents weren’t sharp but they felt rough. The vents felt necessary with the M17 which ran hot - especially connected to power in overdrive mode. I’m not sure the M11 really needs that.

I’ve gone back to the stock case. I’ve landed on having my M11 set to sleep after 1/2 hour of idle. I’m getting days of battery and I don’t have to worry about making sure any of the apps are quit. But I do have to power it up more frequently and the power button is actually quite hard to press with the TPU case. I don’t tend to love leather/pleather cases but the M11 stock case isn’t bad.

1 Like

Its a shame Roon doesnt launch on boot either. Maybe if we petition them they might add an option for it. Not a huge task to start it but it would be a nice touch not to have to restart it each time. I have mine to switch off after an hour, think I may reduce it to half like you.

That’s a good idea. An alternative would be for them to make “Run FiiO Roon” an option for the multi-function button on the left. As it stands, none of the existing options are interesting to me.

Have you noticed that “FiiO Roon” is one of the options for the notification panel (or whatever the drawer thing you pull down from the top of the screen is called on Android)?

You probably know this but you can edit the options on that panel - move them around, remove them from view. I’ve got the Gain and FiiO Roon options up in the top row and some of the other things (like the icons that switch between PO and LO) removed. It’s a nice option to be able to toggle Roon Ready on and off from there. I figure you know that but maybe someone else doesn’t :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah I use it like that all ready.

1 Like

Ive been using roon on my M11 for years - since it was first released, tho I always have had issues with sweat on over the head/ears cans and preferred with IEM’s or CIEM’s and used mainly in hotels on a laptop core with my traveling router for wifi.

I’ve not tried with ARC as travel these days is more limited. But will be doing so again in time. Yes won’t run on original M11 model now that I recall.

Not Roon Ready you havent. That’s what this thread is about the new M11 models that are Roon Ready so bypass all the usual Roon resampling. Arc won’t run on the older versions as it’s only Android 7, ARC needs minimum of 8.

I read M11 not M11S and M11pro as it should have been stated. Different beasts yes.

Please refer to them accordingly in your posts. M11 as is frequently used used in this thread is not an M11S or or M11Pro

I changed the title of the thread, but I didn’t start it though. The whole thread has been about the Plus and S and the new Roon Ready status not the original or Pro as you will see.

I changed the title too :sweat_smile:

I don’t have any experience with Android, but it seems to me that the SW version on M11 Plus is from 2019 (version 10). So it will probably soon reach end of life (support).

Will this cause problems for M11 Plus users?

THX

Torben

I’m also curious about others’ opinions on this. I confess that I’m quite keen on one myself, they just look a nice device for the price. I don’t really need one, but could find uses for it, and this is one of my reasons not to buy ATM.

No why would it. It doesn’t need any updates to the os it’s a stable platform that’s why they use them and they customise it with stuff they need themselves. It doesn’t get android security updates but this is a music device it’s not a phone used on open networks all time so I can’t see it being an issue. Apps tend to have long support for older versions of Android UAPP works on Android 3 still. As for Roon Ready that is os agnostic it’s an SDK not an app and doesnt care how old the OS is it will continue to work otherwise all streamers would be in the same boat they don’t update their os and they don’t ever need to update RAAT SDK either.

1 Like

Also Hifi Rose OS is based on Android and unlikely to the latest release. These OEMs heavily customise their version to work well their kit. If your on a current release it would be a nightmare to keep up and maintain stability given how buggy certain releases can be. So staying on a mature release makes sense. Like anything though tech has shelf life. You likely update your phone more regularly than this and don’t think about it.

2 Likes

Just pulled the tricker :slight_smile: Hopefully delivery before the WE :slight_smile:

Torben

@wizardofoz…please mentally replace “M11” with “M11Plus ESS”. :slight_smile:

I’ll share a few thoughts. This got long. I should edit myself better, but here goes.

I was initially put off by the idea of buying and Android 10 device, but I got over it. I used to use Android and iOS devices concurrently and alternate which was my primary. Work changed a bit and I was no longer involved in mobile device development - I went all in on Apple stuff. I forgot just what a fragmented mess Android is. If you look at the stats, you can see that even Android 13 still has almost 7% share. These things stick around. App developers support them for a long time.

Realistically, though, that doesn’t matter to me. Long before this device stops being a great Roon endpoint, I’ll replace it with something else. I’m sure the M11 will be viable for at least five years. I won’t be surprised if I replace it within the next year or two just because that’s how I operate. I work in tech, love gadgets, love music. Some upgrade will become available that appeals to me and I’ll flip it. I don’t do that with HiFi components. That stuff is dialed in and planted firmly for a long time. This is different.

@killdozer helped me decide to buy a Chord Mojo 2 + Poly (I changed my screen name after that, not sure if anyone cared or noticed :slight_smile:). I love the Mojo 2 but couldn’t get the Poly to work well in my environment. The eBay auction for that gear will end in a couple of days and the current bid price won’t get me what I paid but is more than double what the M11 cost me. The M11 just isn’t that expensive relative to other stuff.

Last point. @Simon_Arnold3 already said something similar. I treat the M11 like a dedicated audio player, not a personalized, fully functioning Android device. I treat it like I don’t trust it. I use the Google Play App Store with a throwaway Gmail account I created specifically for this purpose. For convenience, I turn off the Lock Screen and don’t bother with a PIN or anything like that. I use strong, unique passwords for everything - I use a trick for that, too, so I can use my password manager on the device (and get autofill) but have only the very specific credentials I need on the device with no access to anything else, and easy revocability. I have a simple, but working strategy for this. This helps alleviate my concerns about the fact that FiiO isn’t taking security updates on the M11.

I love this player with IEMs. It’s fantastic at its price point. For me, it’s the sweet spot of functionality, audio performance, price, portability. The Android 10 thing is just not an issue.

4 Likes

Hifi Rose OS (I’ve also a RS250 as Roon endpoint) is not a good example. It’s based on Android 7.1 and if you want to use the item not only for Roon, then it’s really terrible (no DLNA client, only SMB V1, problems after playing CDs, connection problems with some external USB DACs,…).
But the most DAPs are not using the newest Android release and so in the future, it can be
a perhaps problem to use Roon remote or ARC

Minimum for remote is still v5 so we have away to go. Arc I imagine will support 8 upwards for a while. If it no longer supports 10 then I won’t cry over it, all I care about is local sd playback and Roon on it.

1 Like

My Hiby is stuck on v7 but still gets updates from Hiby they don’t stop updating their own side of things just because the Android part is fixed.

But you don’t know, what’s working on the M11 Plus in for example five years. I don’t expect, that Fiio will update there DAPs over many years.
So I find, that the question from Torben is legitim.

1 Like